The Certificate in Methodist/Wesleyan Studies is for pan-Methodist/Wesleyan students who wish to engage in robust and intentional training in Wesleyan theology and spiritual practice in preparation for leadership positions in Methodist and Wesleyan churches, including the United Methodist Church, African Methodist Episcopal Church, African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church, and Korean Methodist Church.
The certificate can be earned as part of the M.Div. (residential and hybrid), M.T.S., and M.A. degrees.
Duke Divinity School has rich resources in Methodist/Wesleyan studies, including renowned Methodist/Wesleyan scholars, vast primary sources in Methodism, the Center for Studies in the Wesleyan Tradition, seasoned Methodist pastors in Field Education and Spiritual Formation programs, and close partnership with Methodist churches. The Certificate in Methodist/Wesleyan Studies, administered by the Methodist House of Studies, will guide pan-Methodist/Wesleyan students to identify and engage in these resources and integrate them into their academic study and ministry.
The goal of the certificate is to nurture Christian leaders whose theology and practice are deeply embedded in the Methodist tradition of serving the marginalized and creating innovative practices to foster thriving communities. Through the certificate program, the students will better integrate their academic learning with ministerial practices in the Wesleyan tradition, learn and practice spiritual exercises (“the means of grace”) in the Wesleyan tradition, and receive mentoring for vocational discernment and leadership development in the Wesleyan tradition.
As part of an advanced spiritual formation learning community that seeks Wesleyan spiritual disciplines to sustain the life of study and ministry, students will build connections with other Methodist/Wesleyan students, faculty, and ecclesial leaders, crossing conventional cultural, racial, and ethnic boundaries.
M.Div. (Residential and Hybrid), M.T.S., and M.A. Requirements
- Three courses in Methodist/Wesleyan Studies from approved list
- (Residential M.Div. only) A minimum of two semester’s participation in the Wesleyan Discipleship Group
- (Hybrid M.Div. only) Two terms of Formation for Ministry with a learning goal focused on Wesleyan Formation; the formation goal and supporting activities must be approved by the certificate director prior to the start of the term
- (Residential and Hybrid M.Div. only) At least one field education placement in a Methodist/Wesleyan setting
- (M.T.S. and M.A. only) A 500-word essay explaining how the student's coursework integrates with current vocation/work with specific reference to the Certificate in Methodist/Wesleyan Studies
- (MA only) A project or experience deepening the student’s Methodist/Wesleyan formation; this formation may be done inside a course or independently with the approval of the certificate director
For more information about the certificate, contact:
Senior Director of the Methodist House of Studies and the Wesleyan Formation Initiatives