- Anatomy of the Soul: The Psalms in Christian Life
- Isaiah in Christian Theology and Preaching
- Living with Exodus
- Preaching the Luminous Word, Eerdmans, 2016
- Biblical Prophecy: Perspectives for Christian Theology, Discipleship and Ministry, Westminster John Knox, 2014
- Scripture, Culture, and Agriculture: An Agrarian Reading of the Bible, Cambridge University Press, 2009
- Wondrous Depth: Old Testament Preaching, Westminster John Knox, 2005
- The Art of Reading Scripture, a volume of essays co-edited with Richard Hays, Eerdmans, 2003. The essays (which include four of my own) were written by members of the Scripture Project, a project of the Center of Theological Inquiry, Princeton. Named in fourth place on the Academy of Parish Clergy Top Ten Books of the Year for 2004.
- “Who Are You, My Daughter?”: Reading Ruth through Image and Text, my translation and commentary, with woodcuts by Margaret Adams Parker, Westminster John Knox Press, 2003.
- Getting Involved with God: Rediscovering the Old Testament, Cowley Publications, 2001.
- Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, and The Song of Songs: A Theological Commentary, in the Westminster Bible Companion Series, Westminster John Knox Press, April 2000.
- Imagination Shaped: Old Testament Preaching in the Anglican Tradition, Trinity Press International, 1995.
- Swallowing the Scroll: Textuality and the Dynamics of Discourse in Ezekiel’s Prophecy, Almond Press, 1989.
- "Losing a Friend," Pro Ecclesia
- "Critical Traditioning," Anglican Theological Review