- The Gospel of Mark
- The Resurrection Narratives in the Gospels
- Judaism and Christianity: Ancient Roots and Modern Perspectives
- The Mystery of the Kingdom of God. Society of Biblical Literature Dissertation Series 90, 1986.
- The Way of the Lord: Christological Exegesis in the Gospel of Mark. (Westminster/John Knox Press, 1992).
- Jesus and the Holocaust: Reflections on Suffering and Hope. (Doubleday, 1997).
- "Mark. A New Translation with Introduction and Commentary." (Anchor Bible 27; New York: Doubleday; vol. 1: 2000; vol. 2: 2009).
- John the Baptist in History and Theology. The Personalities of the New Testament (University of South Carolina Press, forthcoming in 2017).