Details for upcoming semesters will be available at the time of pre-registration in the middle of the semester, and more distant plans may be ascertained by consulting the divisional representative or the instructors concerned.


Fall 2018 Registration and Course Schedule

Consult the Divinity Bulletin for additional information about courses offered through Duke Divinity School.


Course Overload Request

If you are considering enrolling in more than 4 courses, this is considered an overload, and you will need permission from Dean Conklin-Miller to do this. If you are planning on enrolling in CPE and 4 classes during the semester, you must fill out the form below, otherwise DukeHub will not allow you to regsiter for CPE.  Factors that are considered in granting permission include, but are not limited to, non-credit courses during the upcoming semester and the student's academic record, e.g. spiritual formation, field education, and incomplete coursework from previous semesters. Overload requests for Fall 2018 will not be processed until after spring 2018 graduation. Please use the  link below to submit your request for 5 classes

Factors that are considered in granting an overload request include:

  • Your year in school: First-semester students are not able to take a fifth course. Second semester students cannot be granted an overload until their grades are in from the first semester.
  • Your grade point average: Students generally must have a GPA over a 3.0, although extenuating circumstances will be considered.
  • Your transcript: A student with incompletes from the previous semester will not be allowed to enroll in a fifth course.
  • Your plans to manage the extra work: What are your committments outside of the Divinity School (church, family, work, volunteering, etc.) and how will you manage the additional work.

Note: You do not need permission to audit a fifth course. You do need permission to take a fifth course for a grade or on a pass/fail basis.


Advanced Placement

Students who have previous course work at the undergraduate or graduate level can request to take an upper-level course in the same area as the core course. The upper-level course must be taken on a graded basis. To request advanced placement, students should submit the advanced placement form on the Forms & Paradigms page. Unless otherwise noted, the advanced placement form should go to the faculty chair for the division of the course the student would like to take.