Wesley Studies Resources
The Center for Studies in the Wesleyan Tradition is dedicated to providing a growing set of online resources to support study of John and Charles Wesley. The items currently available are listed below. If you have suggestions of other items you would like to see available, or resources you would like to offer for us to consider posting, please contact Randy Maddox at the Center for Studies in the Wesleyan Tradition.
- Decade of Dissertations in Wesley Studies: 1991–2000 (pdf)
- Recent Dissertations in Wesley Studies: 2001–2012 (pdf)
- Kingswood Library Holdings (ca. 1775) (pdf)
- John Wesley’s Reading: Evidence in Kingswood Library (pdf)
- John Wesley’s Reading: Book Collection at Wesley’s House, London (pdf)
- Remnants of John Wesley’s Personal Library (pdf)
- Charles Wesley Family Library, Methodist Archives (pdf)
- Charles Wesley’s Personal Library (ca. 1765) (pdf)
- Charles Wesley Jr. Music Collection (1768) (pdf)
Indexes to Wesley Poetry and Hymn Collections
- First-line index of John and Charles Wesley’s published verse (xls)
This excel file lists first lines for all verse that likely are original productions of John or Charles Wesley, as published in joint or individual works during their lifetime.
- First-line index of other authors included in Wesley hymn collections (xls)
This excel file lists first lines of verse in hymn collections published by John or Charles Wesley during their lifetime that are originally by authors other than the Wesleys. It includes verse translated into English from other languages. It does not include John’s abridgement of Herbert, Milton, or Young; Moral and Sacred Poems, or the poetry included in the Arminian Magazine.
- Title Abbreviations for First-Line Indexes (pdf)
This list of the abbreviations used in column heads for the first-line indexes identifies both the full short title for each work and the location of the work in this online collection
- Detailed Index for Short Hymns on . . . Scriptures (1762) (pdf)
S T Kimbrough, Jr. provides here an index of every hymn in Charles Wesley’s two-volume Short Hymns on Select Passages of the Holy Scriptures. Organized by first lines, it lists such features as the length of the hymn and the scripture passage it exposits.
- Metrical Index for Short Hymns on ... Scriptures (1762) (pdf)
S T Kimbrough, Jr. provides here an index identifying the metre of every hymn included in Charles Wesley’s two-volume Short Hymns on Select Passages of the Holy Scriptures.
- Scripture Index for Short Hymns on ... Scriptures (1762) (pdf)
S T Kimbrough, Jr. provides this convenient index of the title scripture passages for the hymns in Charles Wesley’s two-volume Short Hymns on Select Passages of the Holy Scriptures.