Summary: Responsible for developing and leading all aspects of the Youth (ages 2-17) and Young Adult (ages 18-26) Ministry at Saint Joseph African Methodist Episcopal Church so that youth and young adults can know and follow Jesus Christ.
- Create and execute a long-term church aligned vision for the Youth and Young Adult Ministry.
- Integrate the Youth and Young Adult Ministry into all phases of church life; creating an intergenerational culture that unites with other church ministries.
- Lead and organize effective youth and young adult programs implementing fellowship, worship, biblical teaching, discipleship, and evangelism, as well as ministry and mission opportunities.
- Recruit, train and shepherd volunteers with diverse gifts and personalities.
- Cultivate an environment where youth and young adults feel connected to each other as a church family, and where each is valued and celebrated.
- Use all forms of media to promote the church and its Youth and Young Adult Ministry efforts.
- Participate in regularly scheduled staff and leadership meetings.
- Develop an annual calendar that will accomplish the mission and vision of the ministry and complements the mission and vision of the church.
- Plan and manage the Youth and Young Adult Ministry budgets.
- Stay current with youth ministry practices by reading, attending youth leadership conferences, etc.
- Other duties as required.
Young Adult Focus:
- Develop an outreach program that focuses on young adults in the community, fostering cross collaboration between ministries and area churches, neighboring colleges and universities.
- Organize and establish young adult forums to discuss spiritual, physical, and social growth.
- Support parents in the church with effectively fulfilling their Christian parenting roles, in collaboration with other pastoral staff, including keeping parents updated on ministry strategies and plans in a way that encourages partnership and involvement.
- Provide biblical counseling and spiritual direction to team leaders and youth on an individual basis as needed.
- Create fun and meaningful opportunities for youth to connect and grow together through clear weekly communications on events/activities.
- Explore and implement outreach events to connect youth and families in the local community to our church community.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Gifted and called to youth and young adult ministry, loves young people, and has a passion for evangelism and outreach, both personally and at the ministry level.
- An engaging teacher, with a strong biblical and theological background, who is in agreement with Saint Joseph AME Statement of Faith.
- Excellent organizational skills – a punctual, proactive, self-starter with a positive attitude.
- Thrives within a team environment; with the pastoral staff, the elders, church staff, administrative team and volunteers.
- Self-motivated and able to work without close supervision; flexible to changes in procedures and/or direction.
- Possesses qualities catalytic to youth/young adult ministry; for example, has a sense of humor, energetic, and authentic.
- Demonstrates a strong interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with MS Office programs, basic AV, multimedia tech and presentation software, as well as familiarity with social media tools and their use for ministering to youth.
- Experience leading staff efforts to maintain a youth ministry’s social media presence. i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
Education, Training and Work Experience:
- Three (3) to five (5) years prior professional or volunteer experience in building and leading a Youth and Young adult ministry.
A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a related field, and a personal spiritual life congruent with biblical mandates for leaders (1 Timothy 3:1-7).