Responsibility: To love our community and invite all to discover life in Christ
In all things, at work and in play, to be a faithful follower of Christ for Boone United Methodist, the town of Boone, and the wider world. To show that giving one’s whole life to Jesus through the church is a beautiful and worthwhile thing. And so, to grow the church in numbers, depth of commitment, impact of service and beauty of witness.
Position Overview: The Director of Youth Ministry will equip and guide a ministry team in providing high quality outreach, discipleship, spiritual formation, worship, and mission opportunities for youth. The Director of Youth will lead the youth ministries team utilizing all of the gifts and talents within our congregation and community. This includes leading church staff and laity in planning, implementing, and evaluating how our youth ministry enhances worship and strengthens the mission of the Church. He or she will have a passion for the gospel, a commitment to team-building, leadership development and the ministry of the laity, and an ability to articulate a clear vision for Youth ministry that is in keeping with BUMC’s mission.
Essential Job Functions
- Lead youth ministry of 100+ active students with 200 students on role
- Provide ministry, discipleship & care for students & families grades 7-12
- Recruit, train, coordinate, develop, lead and empower volunteer leadership team of 20+ active adults
- Plan and lead weekly programming and activities for all middle school and high school students
- Plan and lead weekly Sunday night youth gathering for 100+ students – includes, but not limited to coordinating weekly parent volunteers to provide meal, coordinating and resourcing adult volunteer team, planning games, worship, Bible teaching time, facilitating student small groups and more
- Plan and lead Sunday School on Sunday mornings
- Plan and teach weekly high school Bible study for 10-25 students
- Plan, teach, or delegate weekly middle school Bible study for 10-30 students
- Provide Local Mission work opportunities
- Communicate weekly with youth parents through email, an email newsletter, social media and paper mailings
- Build relationships with youth and their families by connecting with them beyond Sunday mornings and Sunday evenings by meeting youth and their families beyond the church walls
- Help assimilate and connect youth and families who are new to BUMC
- Communicate consistently and creatively with students through various social media channels
- Plan and lead annual summer mission trip, both domestic & international, for 30+ students and adults
- Plan and lead annual summer youth backpacking trip for 25+ students and adults
- Plan and lead winter retreat to off-site camp for 75+ students and adults
- Support Director of Children’s Ministry as needed with Confirmation program for 6th Graders as they bridge into youth ministry
- Develop and manage the youth ministry budget in consultation with Finance Committee and the BUMC Office Administrator
- Serve with and work alongside the church staff to accomplish the overall ministry of the church
Reporting Structure: The Director of Youth will report to the Pastor of Discipleship.
Hours: 40 hours per week.
Demonstrated ability to manage a team of leaders, develop and oversee a budget and coordinate ministry with a large church staff to achieve the mission of the church
Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
Excellent planning including the ability to multi-task and balance competing priorities as well as demonstrated ability to execute well organized programs and events
Effective communication skills with both youth and their parents
Credentials: Bachelor’s degree required - youth ministry or a related field preferred. Clergy encouraged to apply. Experience in youth ministry and working on a church staff.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Anyone who may be interested can find us on Indeed.com or send me a resume, cover letter and 3 references by September 24th.