Saint Matthew's Episcopal Church, located in historic Hillsborough, NC is a parish of 400 members. The building was completed in 1826 and thoroughly renovated in 2008. The 1883 Hook and Hasting tracker-action organ was completely restored in 2005. A Yamaha upright grand piano is located in the sanctuary. Music is an important component in the mission and ministry to our parish and the community.
Saint Matthew's has an opening for a Parish Musician. The parish musician will provide service music utilizing the organ and piano. She/he will direct an enthusiastic volunteer senior choir of twenty to twenty-four members. Under the oversight of the parish musician, the children and youth music program provide choral opportunities for occasional services during the program year.
The Parish Musician is considered a half time position (20 hours per week) reporting to the Rector of the church. The salary range is $27,000 to $33,000 dependent upon qualifications. The position will include pension, 4 work weeks of vacation including 4 Sundays, and 2 weeks of continuing education including 2 Sundays.
Qualifications and Skills
• An active faith and passion for music as an act of worship
• At least a bachelor’s degree in music performance, sacred music or a related degree
• Proficiency on the organ and piano as soloist and accompanist
• Experience and competency rehearsing and directing choirs of different ages
• Interest and experience in motivating and encouraging singers of various proficiencies from our parish and community. Experience in vocal coaching is particularly desirable
• Demonstrated knowledge or experience with liturgical worship. Familiarity and interest in Episcopal liturgy and theology are highly preferred.
• Broad knowledge of historical and contemporary church music and other music appropriate for use in worship
Specific Job Expectations
• In collaboration with the Rector:
• Support congregational singing
• Teach new hymns and service music to the congregation
• Identify and encourage participation of musical resources within the congregation and local community
• Provide opportunities for people of all ages to engage in music
• Support children's singing through Sunday school music
• Help extend community outreach, especially in cooperation with Dickerson Chapel AME, our partner church in mission.
• Select and perform instrumental music at Sunday worship services.
• Rehearse, direct and accompany the choir at the principal Sunday worship services during the “choir season” from September through May. In collaboration with the Rector select liturgically appropriate choral music for one or two anthems each Sunday.
• Provide information to the Parish Office staff for the service bulletin in a timely manner.
• Assume responsibility for securing and preparing a substitute when absent.
• Select and accompany liturgically appropriate hymns for congregational singing throughout the year.
• Provide instrumental and choral music (subject to choir availability) for the following special holy days throughout the year: Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter Vigil (Easter Eve), Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day.
• Contract privately with engaged couples to provide organ music for parish weddings in accordance with a fee schedule agreed upon by the Rector and /or identify other musicians who may be available.
• Provide music or obtain a substitute for funerals as requested.
• Attend staff meetings, worship committee meetings, and serve as an ex-officio member of the Music and Arts Committee.
Note: This is not intended to be an all inclusive list of duties. Please refer to the job description for a more comprehensive understanding of the position responsibilities.
Applications will be received from January 1 through January 15, 2014. As needed, the application process may be extended. Applicants should provide a letter of interest and curriculum vitae with the names of at least two references. Please include a statement outlining the reason for your interest in this position. Application materials should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or by postal mail to:
St. Matthew's Episcopal Church
PO Box 628
Hillsborough, NC 27278
The application process will also include:
• Interviews with the Rector and the search committee.
• An interview with a small group of parishioners, senior choir members and church staff or committee leaders as needed.
• An audition on organ and piano.
• An audition leading a senior choir rehearsal may be required.