St. Joseph African Methodist Episcopal Church
2521 Fayetteville Street, Durham, NC 27707
Rev. Dr. Ronald L. Owens, Pastor
Position Available: Administrative Assistant
Reports to: Church Business Administrator and Senior Pastor
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
Maintain administrative functions related to general office work to fulfill the clerical and administrative responsibilities of the church. Serve as administrative support to Church Business Administrator and Senior Pastor.
• A born again believer
• An attitude that the role of this position is a ministry and not merely office help as in the secular world of work.
• Loyalty and a high level of trust must be demonstrated by the discretion of the Senior Pastor.
• Maintain confidentiality of relationships and records
• Ability to multi-task and deal with diverse personalities
• Understand team ministry concept
• Strong detail and task focus
• Must possess a working knowledge of standard office equipment, including copiers, phone, calculators and fax machines.
• Must demonstrate strong working knowledge of computers and proficiency in software programs, including Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, database systems and use of the Internet
1. Mandatory background checks.
2. Three (3) references upon request: (2) Professional; (1) Personal
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Maintain Senior Pastor’s appointment calendar and redirecting appointments to appropriate church leadership.
• Maintain and reporting from church database, including church membership, weekly contribution records.
• Manage and coordinate phone tree database, distributing calls to members as directed by the Senior Pastor and Committee/Auxiliary Chairpersons.
• Responsible for writing, design and/or editing of church correspondence for Senior Pastor and/or Committee Chairpersons.
• Manage church calendar and schedule facility use with in-house/outside requests, coordinated with Board of Trustee and Pastor's approval.
• Prepare weekly bulletin; email weekly calendar.
• Perform daily receptionist duties; exercise tact, courtesy and diplomacy with members and guest, receive and direct calls to the appropriate person or church organization.
• Perform general office work; order and maintain office supplies, janitorial supplies, postages for office mailing;
• Pick up, distribution and dissemination of all mail and correspondence.
• Maintain information for Baptism, New Members, Watch Care, Transfers, Weddings, Deaths, and prepare the necessary forms for both.
• Prepare weekly correspondence with visitors visiting morning worship services.
• Manage church website content and maintain an online calendar.
• Contact point for benevolence calls/walk-ins; route request to Senior Pastor and/or Benevolence Committee.
• Coordinate transportation request for the church van to auxiliaries and weekly senior shopping.
• Maintain and distribute keys to necessary organizations as instructed by the Board of Trustees.
• Processes email correspondence to necessary person.
• Attend staff meetings and other meetings as per the Pastor's request.
• Maintain a working file system of forms, letters, correspondence, reports in an organized manner.
• Maintain posting on bulletin boards inside/outside
• Operates office equipment necessary to produce various publications.
• Distribute and mail checks for monthly accounts payables and other disbursements.
• Notify all Pastoral administration of member hospitalizations, deaths etc.
• Order Holy Communion sacraments
• Facilitate request for table and chair rentals; coordinated with the Board of Trustees
• Annual mass mailings: Contribution statements, Christmas Cards.
• Maintain and duplicate audio requests for worship service
• Other tasks/duties assigned by the Church Business Administrator and/or Senior Pastor
1. The Church Office Assistant is a part time position including Saturdays
2. A contract between the prospective employee and the church stipulating agreed upon terms and conditions, including but not limited to the responsibilities of the position, salary, etc. shall be executed and in place prior to commencement of employment.
3. The compensation range for the Administrative Assistant will be discussed during the interview process.
4. Appropriate taxes will be withheld and paid accordingly.
How to apply:
Submit resume to:
St. Joseph AME Church
2521 Fayetteville Street,
Durham, NC 27707
Deadline to apply: Open until filled