Divinity students will compile student portfolios throughout their time in the program. The portfolio will include a sampling of the student’s work, feedback and comments from professors, and reflections from the student on her/his growth in selected areas of formation. Students will meet with professors to review the portfolio and to receive an evaluation of the student’s progress in the program. Results from the portfolio process will inform future academic program decisions and accreditation reporting responsibilities to the Association of Theological Schools and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Any questions about the portfolio process should be directed to the Office of Academic Programs.
Portfolios at Duke Divinity School
Duke Divinity School seeks to equip students to:
- Read and exegete Scripture and the great texts of the Christian tradition for the purpose of preaching and teaching the gospel with clarity, power, and reverence (hybrid and residential M.Div., M.T.S., M.A.C.P., D.Min.)
- Think theologically about the doctrines and practices of the church and about the world in which the church finds itself in a way that is both faithful historically to the tradition and responsive to the challenges of our time (hybrid and residential M.Div., M.T.S., M.A.C.P., D.Min.)
- Cultivate habits of spiritual discipline to sustain a Christian life ordered toward holiness, justice, peace, and reconciliation (hybrid and residential M.Div.)
- Act with effectiveness and compassion in leading the church’s ministries of worship and preaching, education and formation, and service and transformation in the world (hybrid and residential M.Div.)
- Clarify a sense of vocation and gain critical skills for sustaining that vocation through theologically reflective service in the church and the world. (M.A.C.P., D.Min.)
As a means to exhibit growth and understanding in these areas, every student will compile a student portfolio that the student's academic advisor will review. Portfolios are a requirement of completing degree programs at Duke Divinity School. M.Div. students (hybrid and residential) will submit a portfolio for review twice during the program. M.Div. students will need to complete the Middler Review at the mid-point of the program before becoming eligible to register for the subsequent semester, and they will need to complete the Senior Review in the final semester before becoming eligible to graduate. M.T.S. students will need to submit a portfolio in the final semester before becoming eligible to graduate. M.A.C.P. will need to submit a portfolio in their fifth term before becoming eligible to graduate and D.Min. students will need to submit a portfolio in their fourth term before becoming eligible to graduate.
Anthology will be used as the portfolio tool for all students. Log in Anthology to submit your portfolio.
For more detailed instructions for all degree programs, please see portfolio guidelines (pdf) - updated for academic year 2021-2022.
Student Submission Deadline
Academic Year 2021-2022
Academic Year 2021-2022
|Residential MDV Middler/residential MDV Senior Pastor - 3rd year||Friday, September 24, 2021||No later than Monday, October 23, 2021. Students without completed portfolios will have their Spring 2022 schedules canceled.||
No later than Friday, December 3, 2021. (End of DIVR second Reading Week)
Advising Appointments with advisors open for scheduling on Monday, November 1, 2021 and close Friday, December 3, 2021.
|Residential MDV/MTS Fall 2021 term graduates||Friday, September 24, 2021||No later than Monday, October 23, 2021||
No later than Friday, December 3, 2021. Any MDV or MTS student who is graduating in the Fall 2021 term MUST have their portfolios submitted AND reviewed by this date. (End of DIVR second Reading Week).
Advising Appointments with advisors open for scheduling on Monday, November 1, 2021 and close Friday, December 3, 2021. NO EXCEPTIONS due to graduation.
|MA in Christian Practice (students in their fifth term)||Wednesday, January 11, 2022 (during immersion week)||No later than Tuesday, March 1, 2022||No later than Friday, April 29, 2022|
|Residential MDV Senior, residential MDV Student Pastor - Senior, MTS Senior||Wednesday, January 25, 2022||No later than Tuesday, March 1, 2022. (Summer or Fall grads)||No later than Friday, April 29, 2022. [NO EXCEPTIONS due to Graduation].|
|DMIN (students in their fourth term)||Wednesday, January 11, 2022 (during immersion week)||No later than Tuesday, March 1, 2022||No later than Friday, April 1, 2022.|