Find answers to common questions about classes and policies below or on the Academic Advising page.

How do I take one more class beyond my paradigm?

A student may be approved to take an overload (one more class than on their paradigm) by submitting a request through the course overload form available on the Course Schedule page. The email petition should list the extra class, briefly describe why you would like to take the extra class, and how you plan on handling the extra workload.

How do I get a transcript?

The Divinity school is not authorized to process official transcripts. However, the transcript fee Duke University automatically charges you allows you to request multiple copies of your transcript and have them sent wherever is most convenient. Visit the University Registrar's website to begin processing your request.

I switched to a part-time schedule this semester but I am still being charged as a full-time student. How can I fix this?

Once you have decided to change to part-time status, you must notify the Director of Academic Programs to have your record display your new status. Once this information has been changed and your record updated to reflect the change, your bursar bill will automatically be updated within the next couple of days.

The tuition charge on my bursar bill does not look correct. Whom should I contact?

If you suspect there is an error on your account you may contact the Office of Academic Programs, and your record will be reviewed for any errors. If an error is detected (or a class is added or dropped) that causes changes to be made to your student account please monitor your account activity on DukeHub as such changes will be posted there within a few business days.  Please note that the Bursar’s Office will not publish an out-of-cycle updated bill. You may contact the Bursar’s Office if you need assistance in determining how any changes will affect your current billing statement. 

How do I dispute a grade received?

In the Divinity Bulletin, the Conduct Covenant is outlined, in which is included a grade review process.

How do I share my concerns about academic-related issues?

In the Divinity Bulletin, the Conduct Covenant outlines processes for addressing and resolving such concerns.

How do I take a class without getting credit for it?

On the Divinity School forms page, use the "Audit Form for Currently Enrolled Students" to take a class without receiving credit. If you are a full-time student (taking three or more classes), you are able to audit classes for no fee.

How do I change my grading to pass/fail for a class?

On the Divinity School forms page, use the "Pass-Fail Form" in order to change the grading on a course to pass/fail. This form requires the signature of your instructor, and both forms should be turned in to the location indicated before the drop/add deadline for the term.

How do I drop a class from my schedule?

If you access your bookbag in DukeHub, you should be able to scroll down to the bottom of the page and see an option to drop classes. From there, you can select the class you would like to drop and then confirm the drop. Students are able to make changes to their schedule through DukeHub through the drop/add period; these vary by program and can be found on the academic calendar.

Can I take classes at other schools or in other departments?

Many Divinity students are allowed, in consultation with their academic advisors, to take up to two graduate level courses in other departments of Duke University or at other local universities. To enroll in Duke classes outside of the Divinity School, students are able to register directly through DukeHub, though students may need to secure the permission of the instructor and/or department. To enroll in a course at another local university, you must complete the interinstitutional approval form available from the University Registrar's office website and submit it as indicated in the form.

Permission for more than two such courses must be secured from the academic dean. Courses in Duke’s Department of Religion do not count within this limit.

What if I have classes that I think should transfer to my program?

Students who wish to transfer in classes should contact the Director of Academic Programs. Students will be expected to provide an official transcript, a syllabus from the course, and any other relevant documents. The transfer credit requirements can be found on the Divinity Bulletin.

I need to take an incomplete. How do I do that?

You can use the "Academic Petition for the Grade of Incomplete" form on the Forms page to petition the academic dean to receive a grade of incomplete in a course. This petition must be completed on or before the buisiness day of a reading period of the term in question. Such permission may be granted when a student, through some circumstances beyond their control, such as illness, has been hindered from meeting the course requirements. Adjudication of the petition will rest with the associate dean and the instructor concerned. An incomplete becomes either an F or a permanent incomplete unless it is removed through completion of assigned work by the following dates: for incompletes incurred in Fall courses, February 1; for incompletes incurred in Spring courses, September 1; and for incompletes incurred in Summer courses, October 1.

How do I receive advanced placement for a required core class?

Many students may, on the basis of undergraduate courses, a religion major, or other substantial preparation, be given advanced placement in one or more of the nine required subjects. Such placement normally presumes at least two college courses in a given area (e.g., Old Testament) with a satisfactory grade average and permits the student to fulfill the requirement by electing an advanced course in the same area (e.g., an advanced Old Testament course in place of Old Testament 752). Advanced placement must be granted by the division chair and cannot occur until after a student matriculates into a Divinity School degree program. Courses taken for advanced placement cannot simultaneously count as a limited elective, or be taken on a pass/fail grading basis.

Please use the "Advanced Placement Form" on the Forms page to make your request. 

I can’t see my class schedule with room numbers, etc. Am I able to?

Once you are signed in to DukeHub, you can click the option under "Academics" that says "My Class Schedule." Once you click this, you should see your schedule displayed in a list format. Click "Weekly Calendar view." This schedule should now display your classes in the weekly format, with times and classrooms. If you scroll to the bottom of the page you will see some options to change the display, ex., "Add instructor name," etc.

I am an incoming student, and I want to start registering for classes. Why don’t I have the option?

Incoming Divinity students register in July before their program. Access details on the Registering for Courses page. 

Where can I find important dates (graduation, drop/add deadline, etc.)?

You will find all important dates on the Divinity Academic Calendar.

How do I change my advisor?

You can change your advisor at any given time during your Divinity career by accessing the "Advisor Change Request Form" on the Forms page. This form requires your current advisor’s signature and the consent of the advisor you are changing to. After completing the form. please submit it to the Office of Academic Programs ( for processing.

How can I see a class I just added on Sakai?

If you switch into a new class after the semester begins, it will take some time for you to be added to the instructor’s roster. If the semester has not yet begun, you should wait to address the problem until the course begins. The instructor may not yet have the site running. It is also possible that an instructor will choose not to use Sakai. If the problem persists you may contact

Can I meet with someone about my schedule? If so, whom can I meet with?

You are always welcome to contact the Office of Academic Programs with questions about your schedule. You can also set up an appointment by sending an email to with your schedule and reason for your meeting. An appointment will be set with one of our team members.

How do I switch from one degree program to another?

To begin the process of switching programs, you will need to contact the Admissions Office at the Divinity School. They will begin processing your request and set up a meeting for you to discuss your thoughts with the director. Typically, students will be expected to provide a one-page essay explaining the reason for the program transfer, as well as a letter of support from a faculty member. If Admissions approves the change, the Office of Academic Programs will be notified and your record will be changed.

I recently got married. How can I change my name for my Duke Divinity School record?

The Office of Academic Programs (108 Gray) cannot process this request for you; students must contact the University Registrar to change their primary name: contact and include your student ID.

I have a learning disability and need accommodations for my classes. Whom can I contact?

Students are welcome to contact the Office of Academic Programs at any time with questions or inquiries about disability accommodations.

Duke University and the Divinity School are committed to equality of educational opportunities for qualified students with disabilities in compliance with Section 504 of the Federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. A student seeking information regarding documentation, guidelines, and procedures for receiving consideration for reasonable accommodations should contact the university’s Office of Services for Students with Disabilities at (919) 668-1267 or online at

I feel overwhelmed and think I need to take a break from pursuing this degree for a little bit. Is that an option for me?

It is a very good idea to consult your advisor, the Senior Director of Academic Programs, and whomever else you feel comfortable with about making this decision. A student wishing to take a leave of absence for one or two semesters, and intending to return to a degree program in the Divinity School, should notify the academic dean in writing in advance. Students may take a leave of absence for personal or medical reasons. Students who wish to take a medical leave of absence must provide the Office of Academic Formation and Programs with medical documentation. A student who wishes to take a leave of absence beyond one full academic year must petition for an exception from the academic dean.

I have a friend who is really struggling academically and doesn’t have anyone to talk to. Is there someone I can refer them to?

Of course. Being a student at the Divinity School can be a challenging time, especially as students try to balance work, marriage, and their personal life along with their studies. The Divinity School provides several options so that students are equipped with counseling and support throughout their career. Students are always welcome to contact the Office of Student Life, the Chaplain’s Office, or the Office of Academic Programs to receive advice and support regarding their current situation. 

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) is a component of student services that provides a coordinated, comprehensive range of counseling and developmental services to assist and promote the personal growth of Duke students. The professional staff is composed of psychologists, clinical social workers, and psychiatrists experienced in working with students of all ages. Appointments may be made by calling (919) 660-1000 or coming by the Student Wellness Building, West Campus, between 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Located in the Duke Women’s Center, the Office of Sexual Assault Support Services offers advocacy, support, information resources in the university, and a crisis information and referral line for victims of sexual assault and past sexual violence. You can reach them at (919) 681-6882.

How do I access my degree planner and audit?

Stellic is the Divinity School's degree planner and audit tool.