Gilbert T. Rowe Professor Emeritus of Divinity and Law
Duke Divinity School
Durham, NC 27708-0968
B.A., Southwestern University,
B.D., M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D., Yale University
D.D., University of Edinburgh
Professor Hauerwas has sought to recover the significance of the virtues for understanding the nature of the Christian life. This search has led him to emphasize the importance of the church, as well as narrative for understanding Christian existence. His work cuts across disciplinary lines as he is in conversation with systematic theology, philosophical theology and ethics, political theory, as well as the philosophy of social science and medical ethics. He was named "America’s Best Theologian" by Time magazine in 2001. Dr. Hauerwas, who holds a joint appointment in Duke Law School, delivered the prestigious Gifford Lectureship at the University of St. Andrews, Scotland in 2001.
His book, A Community of Character: Toward a Constructive Christian Social Ethic, was selected as one of the 100 most important books on religion of the 20th century. Dr. Hauerwas recently authored The Work of Theology (Eerdmans, 2015), Hannah’s Child: A Theological Memoir, 2nd Ed. (Eerdmans, 2012), and War and the American Difference: Theological Reflections on Violence and National Identity ( Baker Academic Press, 2011).
- The Ekklesia Project
- "Dogmatics in Outline"
- Time magazine: "Christian Contrarian"
- National Catholic Reporter
- Augustine, Confessions.
- David James Duncan, The Brothers K
- Karl Barth, Dogmatics in Outline
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship
- The Work of Theology (Eerdmans, 2015)
- Hannah’s Child: A Theological Memoir, 2nd Ed. (Eerdmans, 2012)
- War and the American Difference: Theological Reflections on Violence and National Identity ( Baker Academic Press, 2011)
- Matthew: Brazos Theological Commentary on the Bible,(Grand Rapids: Brazos Press, 2006)
- The State of the University: Academic Knowledges and the Knowledge of God, (Oxford: Blackwell Publishing, forthcoming)
- The Peaceable Kingdom: A Primer in Christian Ethics
- Resident Aliens: Life in the Christian Colony (with Will Willimon)
- Dispatches From the Front: Theological Engagements With the Secular
- Sanctify Them in the Truth: Holiness Exemplified
- With the Grain of the Universe: The Church’s Witness and Natural Theology
- Seminar on John Howard Yoder
- Seminar on Theological Ethics: Aristotle and Aquinas