James EfirdProfessor Emeritus of the Divinity School
Duke Divinity School
Durham, NC 27708-0967
James Michael Efird, more familiarly known as Mickey, was born and reared in Kannapolis, N.C. He began teaching in the Divinity School as a graduate student in 1958, joined the faculty full time in 1962 and has taught Greek and Biblical studies to generations of students.
He is an ordained Presbyterian (USA) minister and has served for nearly 50 years as interim supply pastor for various churches. Committed to making the Bible understandable and properly understood for pastors and laity alike, he has been extremely active in the Divinity School Lay Academy program and has taught in churches of many denominations throughout North Carolina and elsewhere.
He first taught in the United Methodist Church's Course of Study program in 1966 and continues to do so. He has written 13 books and more than 60 articles, many of which can be found in the Harper-Collins One Volume Bible Dictionary. Encouraged by his father to be a Blue Devils fan, Dr. Efird has cheered on Duke's football, basketball, and other athletic teams for more than 60 years.
A.B., Davidson College
M.Div., Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary
Ph.D., Duke University
- The New Testament Writings: History, Literature, and Interpretation
- The Old Testament Writings: History, Literature, and Interpretation
- These Things Are Written: An Introduction to the Religious Ideas of the Bible
- Revelation for Today: An Apocalyptic Approach
- A Grammar for New Testament Greek
- End Times: Rapture, Antichrist and Millennium
- "Revelation: Hope in Times of Trial," video series for Minding the Spirit Inc.
- Hellenistic Greek
- New Testament Introduction
- Apocalyptic Literature (especially Revelation)
- Studies in Paul
- The Prophetic Movement.
- N.T. Wright, The New Testament and the People of God
- N.T. Wright, Jesus and the Victory of God
- Richard Hays, The Moral Vision of the New Testament
- Luke Timothy Johnson, The Real Jesus
- Raymond Brown, An Introduction to the New Testament