The Concentration in Christian Education can be earned within the M.Div. degree program and is aimed at students seeking to practice as church educators, teachers, college chaplains, youth workers, or healthcare workers. Since educational ministry is rightly understood as organic to the church’s ministries of outreach, worship, mission, and nurture, persons called to parish ministry will also find the concentration helpful in preparing them for congregational leadership.
Deacons and Elders in the UMC
The Master of Divinity degree with a concentration in Christian Education will satisfy ordination requirements for deacons and elders in the United Methodist Church and qualify them for certification in areas of Christian Education.
The requirements for the concentration are:
- Completion of five Christian Education courses:
- XTIANEDU 80: Introduction to the Education of Christians
- XTIANEDU 179: Persons in Communities
- XTIANEDU 175: Liturgy and Christian Formation
- XTIANEDU 205: Bible Study Programs for the Local Church
- one additional XTIANEDU elective
- Completion of one field education placement that concentrates on Christian Education
For more information, contact:
Associate Professor of the Practice of Christian Education
Director, Duke Youth Academy for Christian Formation
Associate Professor of the Practice of Bible and Christian Formation