The Certificate in Christian Education can be earned within the residential and hybrid M.Div. and M.A. in Christian Practice degree programs. This certificate benefits persons seeking to practice as church educators, teachers, college chaplains, youth workers, community organizers, or health care workers. Since educational ministry is rightly understood as organic to congregational ministries of outreach, worship, mission, and nurture, persons called to parish ministry will also find the concentration helpful in preparing them for congregational leadership.
Deacons and Elders in the UMC
The Master of Divinity degree with a Certificate in Christian Education will satisfy ordination requirements for deacons and elders in the United Methodist Church and qualify them for certification in areas of Christian Education.
Requirements for the certificate for M.Div. students (residential and hybrid)
- Completion of one introductory Christian Education Course, either XTIANEDU 760: Introduction to the Education of Christians (Residential Format) or XTIANEDU 713: Christian Formation in Congregations and Communities (Hybrid Format)
- Completion of three additional Christian Education electives. This can include Christian Education courses ("XTIANEDU" in the code) or other approved electives. Students may also petition the certificate director to apply non-educational electives toward the concentration. For approval, course instructors must agree to shape one graded assignment in their course for Christian educational purposes. If possible Master of Divinity students should plan to satisfy their Practicing Theology in Ministry Limited Elective with one of these three choices.
- Completion of one Christian Education-related field education placement
Requirements for M.A. in Christian Practice (all MA certifcates are subject to course availability)
- Completion of one introductory Christian Education course, either XTIANEDU 760: Introduction to the Education of Christians (Residential Format) or XTIANEDU 713: Christian Formation in Congregations and Communities (Hybrid Format)
- Completion of two additional approved Christian Education electives (courses with "XTIANEDU" in the code or other approved electives)
- Completion of one assignment related to Christian Education for a non-CE course, with permission from instructor
- Completion of 500-word summary of how coursework integrates with current vocation, with specific reference to the CE certificate
Other approved Christian Education electives:
- LTS 808 (Teaching Worship)
- NEWTEST 800 (Bible Study Programs for the Local Church)
- NEWTEST 813 (Paul and the Person)
- PARISH 760 Food, (Eating and the Life of Faith)
- PASTCARE 810 (Theology, Mental Health and Human Flourishing)
- PASTCARE 812/XTIANTHE 812 (Discipleship and Disability)
- SPIRIT 760 (Introduction to Spirituality)
- XTIANETH 890 (Theology, Mental Health and Human Flourishing)
For more information, contact:
Associate Professor of the Practice of Christian Education