The Concentration in Christian Education can be earned within the M.Div. and M.A. in Christian Practice degree programs and is aimed at students seeking to practice as church educators, teachers, college chaplains, youth workers, or healthcare workers. Since educational ministry is rightly understood as organic to the church’s ministries of outreach, worship, mission, and nurture, persons called to parish ministry will also find the concentration helpful in preparing them for congregational leadership.
Deacons and Elders in the UMC
The Master of Divinity degree with a concentration in Christian Education will satisfy ordination requirements for deacons and elders in the United Methodist Church and qualify them for certification in areas of Christian Education.
The requirements for the concentration are:
- Completion of one introductory Christian Education Course: Either XTIANEDU 713 or XTIANEDU 760
- Completion of three additional approved Christian Education electives OR other elective courses at the Divinity School with relevance for educational ministry. Students are responsible for seeking permission from instructors to count these electives toward the Concentration. Instructors must also agree to shaping one graded assignment in their course for Christian educational purposes. Students should contact Fred Edie (email@example.com), supervisor of the Concentration, for approval to enroll in non-education electives.
- Completion of one Christian Education related field education placement
Requirements for M.A. in Christian Practice (all MA Concentrations are subject to course availability)
- Completion of XTIANEDU 760: Introduction to the Education of Christians or equivalent
- Completion of two additional approved Christian Education electives
- Completion of one Assignment related to Christian Education for a non-CE course, with permission from instructor
- Completion of 500-word summary of how coursework integrates with current vocation, with specific reference to the CE Concentration
For more information, contact:
Associate Professor of the Practice of Christian Education