The Certificate in Christian Education can be earned within the residential and hybrid M.Div. and M.A. in Christian Practice degree programs. This certificate benefits persons seeking to practice as church educators, teachers, college chaplains, youth workers, community organizers, or health care workers. Since educational ministry is rightly understood as organic to congregational ministries of outreach, worship, mission, and nurture, persons called to parish ministry will also find the certificate helpful in preparing them for congregational leadership.
Deacons and Elders in the UMC
The Master of Divinity degree with a Certificate in Christian Education will satisfy ordination requirements for deacons and elders in the United Methodist Church and qualify them for certification in areas of Christian Education.
Requirements for the certificate for M.Div. students (residential and hybrid)
- Completion of one introductory Christian Education Course
- Completion of three additional Christian Education electives
- Completion of one Christian Education-related field education placement
Requirements for M.A. in Christian Practice (all MA certifcates are subject to course availability)
- Completion of one introductory Christian Education course
- Completion of two additional approved Christian Education electives
- Completion of one assignment related to Christian Education for a non-CE course, with permission from instructor
- Completion of 500-word summary of how coursework integrates with current vocation, with specific reference to the CE certificate
For more information, contact:
Associate Professor of the Practice of Christian Education