The Concentration in Christian Education can be earned within the M.Div. and M.A. in Christian Practice degree programs and is aimed at students seeking to practice as church educators, teachers, college chaplains, youth workers, or healthcare workers. Since educational ministry is rightly understood as organic to the church’s ministries of outreach, worship, mission, and nurture, persons called to parish ministry will also find the concentration helpful in preparing them for congregational leadership.
Deacons and Elders in the UMC
The Master of Divinity degree with a concentration in Christian Education will satisfy ordination requirements for deacons and elders in the United Methodist Church and qualify them for certification in areas of Christian Education.
The requirements for the concentration are:
- Completion of XTIANEDU 760: Introduction to the Education of Christians
- Completion of four additional approved Christian Education electives
- Completion of one field education placement that concentrates on Christian Education
Requirements for M.A. in Christian Practice (all MA Concentrations are subject to course availability)
- Completion of XTIANEDU 760: Introduction to the Education of Christians or equivalent
- Completion of two additional approved Christian Education electives
- Completion of one Assignment related to Christian Education for a non-CE course, with permission from instructor
- Completion of 500-word summary of how coursework integrates with current vocation, with specific reference to the CE Concentration
For more information, contact:
Associate Professor of the Practice of Christian Education