New gifts for the Second Mile are highlighted by another major contribution for the building from Hugh D’70 and Carole Shields Westbrook of Miami, Fla. The Westbrooks are the primary donors of the Duke Institute on Care at the End of Life in the Divinity School.
Owen D’54 and Mary Owens Fitzgerald of Raleigh, N.C., have pledged $60,000 for the stained glass windows that will be placed in the baptismal apse of Goodson Chapel.
A gift of $40,000 from Morris T’62, G’63 and Ruth WC’62 Williams of Gladwyne, Pa., will name the north end windows in memory of his parents, Atticus D’32 and Annabel Williams.
The gift commitment of $25,000 from Bill D’96 and Judy Fackler of Jacksonville, Fla., will provide the John Wesley quotation, “The best of all is, God is with us,” carved in limestone at the lower entry to the building addition.
A gift of $25,000 from Charles and Deborah Royce of Greenwich, Conn., has been received for a reconciliation program.
Syl D’66 and Doris Shannon of Plainfield, N.J., are giving $25,000 for a visiting professor’s office in the Duke Institute on Care at the End of Life.
New resources for permanent endowment include: The William K.Warren Foundation in Tulsa, Okla., which has established the William K. Warren Foundation Professorship in Catholic Theology in the divinity school with gifts of $1,175,000 and a Nicholas Faculty Initiative challenge match of $325,000. The Warren Professor will teach divinity and other students at Duke and occasional Catholic lay education coordinated by the office of continuing education. John-Kelly Warren, president of the foundation, is a 1987 Duke engineering graduate.
A gift of $60,000 from John M. Douglas of Charlotte, N.C., is establishing the Marjorie Lutz Douglas Scholarship in memory of his wife, a Christian educator who was a 1940 alumna of Women’s College.
Dian Spruill Williams WC’60 of Ocracoke, N.C., is giving $50,000 to establish the T. Reynold and Martha Chesson Spruill Scholarship in memory of her parents who were both members of the Duke Class of 1929.
“We continue to be strengthened by the extraordinary financial commitments of generous graduates and friends,” said Dean L. Gregory Jones. “The building addition, program gifts, and endowment funds give us essential resources for ministerial education.”