- Introduction to Old Testament Interpretation
- Daniel and Apocalyptic Literature
- Jonah and English Literature
- Hebrew Prose Narrative
- Hebrew Poetry
- Introduction to Biblical Hebrew
- Intertestamental Literature
- Ethnicity, Election, and Racism
- Eros and Allegory
- Ethics and Violence in the Old Testament
- Song of Songs
- The Theology of G. K. Chesterton
- Biblical Hermeneutics
- Hebrew Syntax and Exegesis
- History of Interpretation of Jonah
- Apocalypse Against Empire: Theologies of Resistance in Early Judaism Foreword by John J. Collins. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2011.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles:
- “Languages of Identity and Obligation: Daniel as Bilingual Book,” Vetus Testamentum 60:1 (2010) 98-115.
- “Tongues and Cymbals: Contextualizing 1 Corinthians 13:1,” Biblical Theology Bulletin 35:3 (Fall 2005) 99-105.
- “Sweet Mercy Metropolis: Interpreting Aseneth’s Honeycomb,” Journal for the Study of the Pseudepigrapha 14:2 (2005) 133-157.
- “I Sing the Body Politic: Stillborn Desire and the Birth of Israel in Judges 5,” in Celebrate Her for the Fruit of Her Hands: Essays in Honor of Carol L. Meyers, ed. Karla Bohmbach and Charles Carter. Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns, forthcoming (manuscript delivered November 2008).
- Response to “The Fifth Word: Honoring Parents,” by Byron Sherwin, pp. 100-111 in The Ten Commandments for Jews, Christians, and Others. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2007.
- “Eyes to the Blind: A Dialogue between Tobit and Job,” pp. 14-27 in Intertextual Studies in Ben Sira and Tobit: Essays in Honor of Alexander A. Di Lella, OFM, ed. Jeremy Corley and Vincent Skemp. CBQMS 38. Washington, DC: Catholic Biblical Association, 2005.
Short Articles and Reviews:
- “Daniel,” Dictionary of Scripture and Ethics, ed. Joel Green. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic Press (forthcoming).
- “1 Maccabees,” Dictionary of Scripture and Ethics, ed. Joel Green. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic Press (forthcoming).
- “2 Maccabees,” Dictionary of Scripture and Ethics, ed. Joel Green. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic Press (forthcoming).
- “1 Maccabees,” The NRSV People’s Bible with Apocrypha, ed. Curtiss Paul de Young, Wilda C. Gafney, Leticia Guardiola. Augsburg Fortress, 2008.
- “2 Maccabees,” The NRSV People’s Bible with Apocrypha, ed. Curtiss Paul de Young, Wilda C. Gafney, Leticia Guardiola. Augsburg Fortress, 2008.
- “Tobit,” The NRSV People’s Bible with Apocrypha, ed. Curtiss Paul de Young, Wilda C. Gafney, Leticia Guardiola. Augsburg Fortress, 2008.
- “Entering into Lamentations,” pp. 226-228 in Teaching the Bible: Practical Strategies for Classroom Instruction. SBL Resources for Biblical Studies Series. SBL, 2005.
- “Dominion requires service, caring,” The New Southern Catholic Radical, Spring 2005.
Professor Portier Young is also a frequent contributor to workingpreacher.org
- The Gospel of Mark
- The Resurrection Narratives in the Gospels
- Judaism and Christianity: Ancient Roots and Modern Perspectives
- The Mystery of the Kingdom of God. Society of Biblical Literature Dissertation Series 90, 1986.
- The Way of the Lord: Christological Exegesis in the Gospel of Mark. (Westminster/John Knox Press, 1992).
- Jesus and the Holocaust: Reflections on Suffering and Hope. (Doubleday, 1997).
- "Mark. A New Translation with Introduction and Commentary." (Anchor Bible 27; New York: Doubleday; vol. 1: 2000; vol. 2: 2009).
- John the Baptist in History and Theology. The Personalities of the New Testament (University of South Carolina Press, forthcoming in 2017).
Select Essays in Wesley Studies
- ‘Anticipate Our Heaven Below’: The Emphatic Hope and Abiding Tone of Charles Wesley’s Eschatology (pdf) Proceedings of the Charles Wesley Society 17 (2013): 11–34.
- Anticipating the New Creation: Wesleyan Foundations for Holistic Mission (pdf) Asbury Journal 62 (2007): 49–66.
- Celebrating the Whole Wesley: A Legacy for Contemporary Wesleyans (pdf) Methodist History 43.2 (2005): 74–89.
- A Change of Affections: The Development, Dynamics, and Dethronement of John Wesley’s ‘Heart Religion’ (pdf) In Heart Religion” in the Methodist Tradition and Related Movements, 3–31. Edited by Richard Steele. Metuchen, NJ: Scarecrow Press, 2001.
- “Digging Deep into the Mine: Charles Wesley and the Bible” (pdf) Proceedings of the Charles Wesley Society 15 (2011): 15–40.
- The Enriching Role of Experience (pdf) In Wesley and the Quadrilateral, 107–27. Stephen Gunter et al. Nashville: Abingdon, 1997.
- Honoring Conference: Wesleyan Reflection on the Dynamics of Theological Reflection (pdf) In The Renewal of United Methodism: Mission, Ministry, and Connectionalism, 55–97. Edited by Rex D. Matthews. Nashville: GBHEM, The United Methodist Church, 2012.
- John Wesley – ‘A Man of One Book’ (pdf) In Wesley, Wesleyans, and Reading Bible as Scripture, 3–18, 277–80. Edited by Joel B. Green and David F. Watson. Waco, TX: Baylor University Press, 2012.
- John Wesley and Eastern Orthodoxy: Influences, Convergences, and Differences (pdf) Asbury Theological Journal 45.2 (1990): 29–53.
- John Wesley on Holistic Health and Healing (pdf) Methodist History 46 (2007): 4–33.
- John Wesley – Practical Theologian (pdf) Wesleyan Theological Journal 23 (1988): 122–47.
- John Wesley’s Precedent for Theological Engagement with the Natural Sciences (pdf) Wesleyan Theological Journal 44.1 (Spring 2009): 23–54. [Also appears in Divine Grace and Emerging Creation: Wesleyan Forays in Science and Creation, 1–36. Edited by Thomas Jay Oord. Eugene, OR: Pickwick, 2009.]
- Karl Rahner’s Supernatural Existential: A Wesleyan Parallel?” (pdf) Evangelical Journal 5 (1987): 3–14.
- Nurturing the New Creation: Reflections on a Wesleyan Trajectory (pdf) In Wesleyan Perspectives on the New Creation, 21–52. Edited by M. Douglas Meeks. Nashville, TN: Kingswood Books, 2004.
- Opinion, Religion, and ‘Catholic Spirit’: John Wesley on Theological Integrity (pdf) Asbury Theological Journal 47.1 (1992): 63–87.
- Reading Wesley as Theologian (pdf) Wesleyan Theological Journal 30.1 (1995): 7–54.
- Reclaiming the Eccentric Parent: Methodist Reception of John Wesley’s Interest in Medicine (pdf) In Inward and Outward Health: John Wesley’s Holistic Concept of Medical Science, the Environment, and Holy Living, 15–50. Edited by Deborah Madden. Peterborough: Epworth, 2008.
- “Reclaiming Holistic Salvation: A Continuing Wesleyan Agenda (pdf).” In Holy Imagination: Thinking About Social Holiness, 41–54. Edited by Nathan Crawford, Jonathan Dodrill, and David Wilson. Lexington, KY: Emeth Press, 2015.
- Responsible Grace: The Systematic Perspective of Wesleyan Theology (pdf) Wesleyan Theological Journal 19.2 (1984): 7–22.
- The Rule of Christian Faith, Practice, and Hope: John Wesley on the Bible (pdf) Methodist Review 3 (2011): 1–35.
- Shaping the Virtuous Heart: The Abiding Mission of the Wesleys (pdf) Circuit Rider 29.4 (July/August 2005): 27–28.
- Theology of John and Charles Wesley (pdf) in T&T Clark Companion to Methodism, 20–35. Edited by Charles Yrigoyen, Jr. New York: T&T Clark, 2010.
- ‘Visit the Poor’: John Wesley, the Poor, and the Sanctification of Believers (pdf) In The Wesleys and the Poor: The Legacy and Development of Methodist Attitudes to Poverty, 1729–1999, 59–81. Edited by Richard Heitzenrater. Nashville, TN: Kingswood Books, 2002.
- Wesley and Inclusive Grammar: A Note for Reflection (pdf) Sacramental Life 4.4 (1991): 40–43.
- Wesley as Theological Mentor: The Question of Truth or Salvation Through Other Religions (pdf) Wesleyan Theological Journal 27 (1992): 7–29.
- Wesleyan Resources for a Theology of the Poor (pdf) Asbury Theological Journal 49.1 (1994): 35–47.
- Wesleyan Theology and the Christian Feminist Critique (pdf) Wesleyan Theological Journal 22 (1987): 101–11.
- Wesley’s Prescription for ‘Making Disciples of Jesus Christ’: Insights for the Twenty-First-Century Church (pdf) Quarterly Review 23.1 (2003): 15–28.
- Wesley’s Prescription for Making Disciples of Jesus Christ: Insights for the 21st Century Church (pdf) Pulpit and Pew Website, Duke Divinity School
- Wesley’s Understanding of Christian Perfection: In What Sense Pentecostal? (pdf) Wesleyan Theological Journal 34.2 (1999): 78–110.
Select Articles in Methodist Studies
- Aldersgate: A Tradition History (pdf) In Aldersgate Reconsidered, 133–46. Edited by Randy L. Maddox. Nashville: Kingswood Books, 1990.
- Celebrating Wesley – When? (pdf) Methodist History 29 (1991): 63–75.
- Holiness of Heart and Life: Lessons from North American Methodism (pdf) Asbury Theological Journal 51.1 (1996): 151–72.
- ‘Letter from America.’ A United Methodist Perspective (pdf) In Unmasking Methodist Theology, 179–84. Edited by Clive Marsh, et al. New York: Continuum, 2004.
- “Methodist Theology” (pdf) In The Cambridge Dictionary of Christian Theology, 311–13. Edited by Ian A. McFarland et al. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2011.
- Psychology and Wesleyan Theology: Precedents and Prospects for a Renewed Engagement (pdf) Journal of Psychology and Christianity 23 (2004): 101–9.
- Reclaiming an Inheritance: Wesley as Theologian in the History of Methodist Theology (pdf) In Rethinking Wesley’s Theology for Contemporary Methodism, 213–26.
- Reconnecting the Means to the End: A Wesleyan Prescription for the Holiness Movement (pdf) Wesleyan Theological Journal 33.2 (1998): 29–66.
- Respected Founder / Neglected Guide: The Role of Wesley in American Methodist Theology (pdf) Methodist History 37 (1999): 71–88.
- Seeking a Response-able God: The Wesleyan Tradition and Process Theology? (pdf) In Thy Nature and Thy Name is Love: Process and Wesleyan Theologies in Dialogue, 111–42. Edited by Bryan Stone & Tom Oord. Nashville, TN: Kingswood Books, 2001.
- Social Grace: The Eclipse of the Church as a Means of Grace in American Methodism (pdf) In Methodism in its Cultural Milieu, 131–60. Edited by Tim Macquiban. Oxford: Applied Theology Press, 1994.
- Theology in the Twenty-First Century: Some Wesleyan Agendas (pdf) In Methodism Across the Pond, 45–60. Edited by Richard Sykes. Oxford: Applied Theology Press, 2005.
- An Untapped Inheritance: American Methodism and Wesley’s Practical Theology (pdf) In Doctrines and Disciplines: Methodist Theology and Practice, 19–52, 292–309. Edited by Dennis Campbell, et al. Nashville, TN: Abingdon, 1999.
- ‘Vital Orthodoxy’: A Wesleyan Dynamic for 21st Century Christian Life and Thought (pdf) Methodist History 42.1 (2003): 3–19.
Select Essays on Practical Theology
- Formation and Reflection: The Dynamics of Theology in Christian Life (pdf) Quarterly Review 21.1 (Spring 2001): 20–32.
- Practical Theology: A Discipline in Search of a Definition (pdf) Perspectives in Religious Studies 18 (1991): 159–69.
- Recovery of Theology as a Practical Discipline: A Contemporary Agenda (pdf) Theological Studies 51 (1990): 650–72.
- Spirituality and Practical Theology: Trajectories toward Reengagement (pdf) Association of Practical Theology Occasional Papers 3 (Spring 1999): 10–16.
- Christian Theology 764 - The Pastor's Vocation
- Christian Theology 110 - Forgiveness in Christian Practice and Thought
- Christian Theology 270 - Remembrance and Reconciliation
- Forgiving as We’ve Been Forgiven with Celestin Musekura
- Embodying Forgiveness: A Theological Analysis [Recipient, an Outstanding Book of 1995 Award, Christianity Today; an Outstanding Book of 1995 Award, the Academy of Parish Clergy]
- Reading in Communion: Scripture and Ethics in Christian Life with Stephen Fowl
- Transformed Judgment: Toward a Trinitarian Account of the Moral Life
- "Beliefs, Desires, Practices, and the Ends of Theological Education" in Miroslav Volf and Dorothy C. Bass (eds) Practicing Theology: Beliefs and Practices in Christian Life (Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 2001) 185-205.
- “Embodying Scripture in the Community of Faith,” in Ellen F. Davis & Richard B. Hays (eds.), The Art of Reading Scripture (Grand Rapids, MI: William B. Eerdmans, 2003) 143-159.
- Wesley and the People Called Methodists
- The Elusive Mr. Wesley
- The Poor and the People Called Methodists
- Mirror and Memory: Reflections on Early Methodism
- John Wesley's Sermons: An Anthology (with Albert C. Outler)
- The Old Testament in the New
- Greek Exegesis of Matthew
- Greek Exegesis of Romans
- Greek Exegesis of 1 Corinthians
- New Testament Theology
- New Testament Ethics
- Church and Ministry in the New Testament
- Seeking the Identity of Jesus: A Pilgrimage. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2008. (Co-edited with Beverly Roberts Gaventa).
- The Conversion of the Imagination: Paul as Interpreter of Israel’s Scripture. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2005.
- Die Bibel im Dialog der Schriften: Konzepte intertextueller Bibellektüre. Tübingen/Basel: Francke, 2005. (Co-edited with Stefan Alkier).
[English translation: Reading the Bible Intertextually. (Co-edited with Stefan Alkier and Leroy Huizenga), Baylor University Press, 2009.]
- The Art of Reading Scripture (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2003). (Co-edited with Ellen F. Davis).
- The Faith of Jesus Christ: The Narrative Substructure of Galatians 3:1-4:11. 2nd ed. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2002.
- The Letter to the Galatians. New Interpreter’s Bible, Vol. XI. Nashville: Abingdon, 2000.
- First Corinthians. Interpretation Commentaries. Louisville: Westminster/John Knox, 1997.
- The Moral Vision of the New Testament: Community, Cross, New Creation. San Francisco: HarperSanFrancisco, 1996.
- Echoes of Scripture in the Letters of Paul. New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 1989.
- “Reading the Bible with Eyes of Faith: The Practice of Theological Exegesis,” Journal of Theological Interpretation 1 (2007): 5-21.
- Scores of essays and articles in scholarly journals.
- Seminar on John Howard Yoder
- Seminar on Theological Ethics: Aristotle and Aquinas
- The Work of Theology (Eerdmans, 2015)
- Hannah’s Child: A Theological Memoir, 2nd Ed. (Eerdmans, 2012)
- War and the American Difference: Theological Reflections on Violence and National Identity ( Baker Academic Press, 2011)
- Matthew: Brazos Theological Commentary on the Bible,(Grand Rapids: Brazos Press, 2006)
- The State of the University: Academic Knowledges and the Knowledge of God, (Oxford: Blackwell Publishing, forthcoming)
- The Peaceable Kingdom: A Primer in Christian Ethics
- Resident Aliens: Life in the Christian Colony (with Will Willimon)
- Dispatches From the Front: Theological Engagements With the Secular
- Sanctify Them in the Truth: Holiness Exemplified
- With the Grain of the Universe: The Church’s Witness and Natural Theology