- Evangelistic Ecclesiology
- The Missional Church and Evangelism
- Women and Evangelism
- UM Studies
- Saving Women: Retrieving Evangelistic Theology and Practice (Waco: Baylor University Press, 2007)
*Rated an "Outstanding book" for 2008 by the University Press Books Committee
- The Study of Evangelism, co-edited with Paul Chilcote (Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2008)
- Wesley Study Bible, co-editor with Sarah Lancaster of theological side-bars (Abingdon Press, 2009)
- Grace to Lead: Practicing Leadership in the Wesleyan Tradition, co-authored with Bishop Kenneth Carder (UM GBHEM, 2010)
- “Spreading Scriptural Holiness: Theology and Practices of Early Methodism for the Contemporary Church,” The Asbury Journal (Spring 2008), 115-138
- “Rethinking Evangelism and the Old Testament: Jonah and the Imitation of God,” co-authored with Stephen B. Chapman, Journal of Theological Interpretation (Spring 2008), 43-69
Professor Wainwright chiefly teaches advanced seminars on the nature and functions of theology and on such cardinal topics as the doctrine of the Trinity. For fun he also offers a course on "Icon Theology" from time to time.
- Embracing Purpose: Essays on God, the World and the Church
- "Doxology," a systematic theology funded by worship
- "Lesslie Newbigin: A Theological Life"
- "The Oxford History of Christian Worship" co-ed. with Karen Westerfield Tucker
- Theology and Practice of Preaching
- Doctrine of the Holy Spirit
- Theology in Preaching
- Preaching the Resurrection
- HistTheo 399 “The Moral Theology of Ambrose of Milan”
- HistTheo 220 “Virtue and Virility: Christian and Non-Christian Conceptions of Masculinity”
- CH 13 “Early and Medieval Christianity”
- HistTheo 215 “History of the Alexandrian School: Philo to Cyril”
- HistTheo 308 “Greek Patristic Texts”
- HistTheo 223 “Theology of the Cappadocians”
- HistTheo 318 “Topics in Patristic Theology: Latin Trinitarian Theology in 4th and 5th Centuries”
- "Youth Ministry in American Methodism's Mission," Methodist History vol.19, no.4 (July 1981) pp.224-230.
- "Macrina, Tamer of Horses and Healer of Souls:Grief and Hope in Gregory of Nyssa's De Anima et Resurrectione," Journal of Theological Studies, NS, Vol. 52, pt. 1 (April 2001) pp.37-60.
- “Suffering Impassably’: Christ’s Passion in Cyril of Alexandria’s Soteriology,” Pro Ecclesia Vol. 11, no. 4 (Fall 2002) pp.463-83.
- “John Wesley’s Growth in Grace and Gregory of Nyssa’s Epectasy: A Conversation in Dynamic Perfection,” Bulletin of the John Rylands UniversityLibrary of Manchester 85.2-3 (Summer and Autumn 2003) 347-58.
- "'A Just and Reasonable Grief': The Death and Function of a Holy 'Woman' in Gregory of Nyssa's De Vita Macrinae" Journal of Early Christian Studies 12.1 (Spring 2004) pp.57-84.
- Passion and Paradise: Human and Divine Emotion in the Thought of Gregory of Nyssa (New York: Crossroad Publishers, 2004)
- “Martyrdom: Self-Denial or Self-Exaltation? Motives for Self-Sacrifice from Homer to Polycarp A Theological Reflection,” Modern Theology 22.2 (April 2006) pp.169-96.
- “The Body of Paradise and the Body of the Resurrection: Gender and the Angelic Life in Gregory of Nyssa’s De hominis opificio” Harvard Theology Review (forthcoming in April 2007)
- “Augustine and the Limits of Pre-emptive and Preventive War,” Journal of Religious Ethics (forthcoming, Spring 2007)
- “Justification and Merit before the Pelagian Controversy: The Case of Ambrose of Milan” Pro Ecclesia (forthcoming Spring 2007)
- "Ambrose, Paul, and the Conversion of the Jews," Ex Auditu 25 (2009): 175-98.
- "Desire." In The Brill Dictionary of Gregory of Nyssa, edited by Lucas Francisco Mateo-Seco and Giulio Maspero; translated by Seth Cherney (Leiden: Brill, 2010).
- Christian Grace and Pagan Virtue: The Theological Foundation of Ambrose’s Ethics (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2010).
- "Cappadocian Fathers." In The Cambridge Dictionary of Christian Theology, edited by Ian McFarland et al. (Cambridge University Press, 2011).
- "The Trinity in the Fourth Century Fathers." In Oxford Handbook on the Trinity, edited by Giles Emery and Matthew Levering (Oxford University Press, 2011).
- "Divine Ecstasy and Divine Simplicity: The Eros Motif in Pseudo-Dionysius's Soteriology." Pro Ecclesia 21.2 (Spring 2012): 211-27.
Papers at Academic Conferences
- Aug. 2006 “In or Out of the Body: Ambrose’s Account of Paul’s Mystical Ascent on the Third Heaven” at the Boston College Colloquy in Historical Theology
- May 2006 “Natural Capacity or Gift of Grace: Ambrose’s Conception of Fides in the Patriarchal Treatises and De Paradiso” at North American Patristics Society
- Nov. 2004 “Augustine and the Limits of Pre-emptive and Preventive War,” American Academy of Religion, San Antonio, Texas
- June 2003 “John Wesley’s Growth in Grace and Gregory of Nyssa’s Epectasy: A Conversation in Dynamic Perfection,” at John Wesley: Life, Legend, and Legacy, (Wesley Tercentenary Conference, University of Manchester, Manchester, England)
- Nov. 2002 “The Body of the Resurrection and the Body of Paradise: Gender, Sexuality, and the Angelic Body in Gregory of Nyssa’s De Hominis Opificio” at The American Academy of Religion, Toronto, Canada
- Aug. 2002 “The Hope of Holiness: The New Creation according to Gregory of Nyssa and John Wesley,” Oxford Institute of Methodist Studies, Christ Church, Oxford
- Nov. 2001 “Impassible Suffering: Christ’s Passion and Divine Impassiblity in Cyril of Alexandria,” at American Academy of Religion, Denver, CO.
- May 2001 “Augustine’s Reading of Psalm 51 and the Transmission of Concupiscence,” at The North American Patristics Society, Chicago, IL.
- May 1998 “Macrina, A Breaker of Horses: The Problem of Grief in Gregory of Nyssa’s De Anima et Resurrectione” at North American Patristics Society, Chicago, IL.
- Learning Theology with the Church Fathers by Christopher A. Hall Church History 72.3 (Spring 2003) pp.645-7.
- Ambrose’s Patriarchs Ethics for the Common Man by Marcia L. Colish, Pro Ecclesia 15.3 (Summer 2006) pp.358-62.
- Nicaea and its Legacy: An Approach to Fourth-Century Trinitarian Theology by Lewis Ayres, Modern Theology (Spring 2007)
Other Publications (non-academic)
- “Too Racy for Bible Study” Christian History Issue 80 (2003)
- “The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: Evangelical Propaganda?” United Methodist Reporter, December 2005
- “New Life through Resurrection” in Youth and Faith ed. Fred Edie (forthcoming)