Saint Giles Presbyterian Church is seeking a Part Time Youth Program Director to work with a team of adult church members and staff to develop, continue and ensure appropriate faith-based ministry (in the Reformed/Presbyterian tradition) for youth grades 6-12 (ordinarily ages 11-18).
Saint Giles is striving for a team-based model of Youth Ministry in which leaders embody the best practices of shared-leadership, balanced living, consensus building and Sabbath-keeping in ways that invite youth to practice Christian Living in a safe, nurturing Christian environment.
Areas of Leadership include (but are not limited to):
- Sunday School (Sundays 10:00am-11:00am)
- Youth Group (Sundays 6:00pm-8:00pm)
- Weekend and overnight retreats
- Sunday worship (9:00 and 11:00; primarily presence; worship leadership may be negotiated if the Youth Director desires)
- Mission opportunities
- Fund raisers
- Summer trips
The Youth Program Director will work the Elder for Youth, Duke Intern (where appropriate) and the Director of Christian Education (DCE) to identify, create and equip a team of adult and youth leaders.
The Youth Program Director will develop relationships with youth, their families and the congregation as a whole. Relationships are developed through regular communication and engagement with youth and parents/guardians including appropriate use of technology, regular newsletter articles and, as time permits, presence in our youth’s non-church activities (sporting events, concerts, performances, etc.)
The Youth Program Director will work with the DCE and other church leaders to engage youth in all-age ministries at Saint Giles. This will include interacting with a range of Saint Giles’ Ministry Teams and may include planning and organizing programs and events.
On a monthly basis during the academic year, the Youth Program Director can expect to:
- Participate in Sunday School 3 Sundays/month; teaching when needed
- Attend worship 3 Sundays/month (attending an equal number of 9am and 11am worship services)
- Lead Youth Group 2 Sundays/month and be present weekly; the Youth Program Director can miss up to 4 Sundays/academic year in consultation with the DCE
- Lead (with the DCE and elder) and participate in 1 planning meeting/month
On an academic year basis, the Youth Program Director can expect to:
- Attend 2 two-night retreats
- Plan and lead at least 1 overnight lock-in
- Lead (with the DCE and elder) and participate in at least 2 “Big Picture” Youth Planning events
Summer Camps/Conferences will be negotiated on a case-by-case basis.
The Youth Program Director will report directly to the DCE. The Youth Program Director will have a midyear review conducted by the DCE.
The Youth Program Director must be:
- At least 23 years of age
- Able to provide 3 references
- Willing to submit to a background check and drug-screening.
- Willing and able to comply with all Saint Giles Presbyterian Church policies, including the Saint Giles Safe Sanctuary Covenant and Policy and the Personnel Policy
The ideal Youth Program Director will:
- Have, or be working toward, an undergraduate degree.
- Have experience leading and working with teenagers and their families (preferred)
- Be familiar with congregational settings (preferred)
- Be organized, creative, energetic and fun
- Be committed to fostering her/his own ever-growing Christian faith
Preference will be given to candidates with the above qualifications as well as the ability to commit to more than one academic year.
Compensation/Terms of Employment
- This is an academic-year position (mid-August through early June) designed to be ca. 15 hrs/week. The Youth Program Director will be expected to: track his/her hours and submit a time sheet
- Hourly rate to be determined based on experience.
- Lock-ins and Retreats will be paid separately in consultation with the DCE.
- Unless specifically document and agreed to, this position is considered part-time and follows the personnel policies for part-time non clergy-position.
Saint Giles is an equal opportunity employer.