Jeremy Begbie is the inaugural holder of the Thomas A. Langford Research Professorship in Theology.
He teaches systematic theology, and he specializes in the interface between theology and the arts. His particular research interest is the interplay between music and theology.
Professor Begbie spends one semester each year (currently spring) at Duke Divinity School and the other semester at Cambridge.
He is also Senior Member at Wolfson College, Cambridge, and an Affiliated Lecturer in the Faculty of Music at the University of Cambridge. Previously he has been Associate Principal at Ridley Hall, Cambridge, and Honorary Professor at the University of St Andrews where he directed the research project, Theology Through the Arts at the Institute for Theology, Imagination and the Arts.
He is author of a number of books, including Voicing Creation’s Praise: Towards a Theology of the Arts (T & T Clark); Theology, Music and Time (CUP), and most recently, Resounding Truth: Christian Wisdom in the World of Music (Baker/SPCK) which won the Christianity Today 2008 Book Award in the Theology/Ethics Category. He has taught widely in the UK and North America, and delivered multimedia performance-lectures across the world, from Israel to Australia and Hong Kong.
Recent Publications and Interviews
- Music Modernity, and God: Essays in Listening (Oxford: Oxford University Press, in press, December 2013)
- "The Future of Theology Amid the Arts: Some Reformed Reflections" in Christ Across the Disciplines: Past, Present, Future, ed. Roger Lundin (Eerdmans, 2013)
- “Natural Theology and Music” in The Oxford Handbook of Natural Theology, ed. Russell Re Manning (Oxford University Press, 2013)
Selected Forthcoming Publications
- “Negotiating Musical Transcendence” in Music and Transcendence (Farnham: Ashgate, forthcoming). Manuscript submitted October 2013.
- “Modelling Harmony: Music in Peace-Building” in Mediating Peace: Reconciliation through Art, Music & Film (London: Routledge, forthcoming). Manuscript submitted May 2013.
Forthcoming Speaking Engagements
- December 7, Preaching at St. George's, Holborn, UK
- January 29, LeRoy Martin Distinguished Lecture at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
- January 31, Duke Forward event, Dallas, Texas
- February 6-7, Diocese of West Texas, San Antonio, Texas
- February 8-9, St. Matthew's Episcopal Cathedral Arts, Dallas, Texas
- March 1, Neil Asks, Atlanta, GA
- March 29- April 6, Easter at King's, Cambridge, UK
- April 30 - May 3, Pastors and Ministers to Artists Retreat, Laity Lodge, Texas
- May 26, Preaching at Wycliffe College, Oxford, UK
- June 19-20, Kingdom Theology Conference at Westminster Theological Centre, Cheltenham, UK
- July 23-25, Regent College's Abbey Summer School, Edinburgh, UK
- October 13, Bishops' Ministry Programme, UK
- October 18, Preaching at Great St. Mary's, Cambridge, UK
- October 25, Preaching at St. Catherine's, Cambridge, UK
- November 2, McDonald Lecture, St. Mellitus College, London, UK
- November 15, Church of the Incarnation, Dallas, TX
- November 18-20, Staley Lecture, Whitworth University, Spokane, WA