First Calvary Baptist Church
Church Business Administrator
Position: Full-time, Salaried Position Reports to Pastor
Hours: 8:00 AM -5:00PM EST Status: EXEMPT
The Church Business Administrator in concert with the Pastor is responsible for the execution of the business and administrative functions and operations of the church. The Church Business Administrator will provide full-time, on-site management of the following business operations: facilities and property, including a vigorous seven-day-a-week program of classes, meetings, and civic and community outreach; financial management and contract administration; administrative support and coordination of resources for mission, program, and ministry; security and risk management; supervision of administrative and custodial staff; and oversight of office operations, technology, and church-related communications. The Administrator works closely with the ministerial staff and directly supports the Trustee Ministry and several committees.
• Prefer a minimum if three years of experience in supervision and management of personnel
• Prefer a minimum of five years of experience in Business Administration or Accounting
• Strong Organizational and administrative skills
• Strong Interpersonal / people skills
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Business and accounting background/education
• Ability to adhere to strict Confidentiality
• Continuous desire and effort to develop skills/knowledge
• Strong research skills and commitment to best practices
• Requires commitment to biblical Christian principles and teachings both professionally and personally
• Must be able to prioritize and manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions as a part of the routine
• Ability to construct and maintain schedules
• Ability to train and supervise personnel.
• Ability to delegate tasks as needed
• Ability to diffuse and manage volatile and stressful situations
• Must have an attitude of genuine caring for people.
• Maintain a cooperative team spirit with staff, volunteers and congregation.
• Have excellent command of English composition and punctuation.
• Personal dress and appearance appropriate to the business and ministry of the Church
• Requires passing criminal, financial and sexual misconduct background checks.
• Requires basic ability to use computer software, such as Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook and Internet
Education: Bachelor’s degree in business, management, facilities management or related field; Masters of Divinity degree or Church Administration certification-degree is highly preferred. Must have a minimum of three years hands-on experience in management, personnel supervision and in facilities management; demonstrably excellent oral and written communication skills. Background as a Minister is highly preferred from an accredited Seminary or Biblical institution. MUST have a strong knowledge in Finance with experience working with a minimal budget of 2 million dollars.
Salary & Benefits: Negotiable depending on experience. Benefit package (Negotiable) includes health, dental, disability and life insurance as well as pension contribution.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
General and Staff Administration
• Assure that the Employee handbook is kept current, and that employees are kept aware of any changes
• Work with all levels of staff (administrative, custodial, security, ministerial, etc.), committees and other leadership to recommend, establish and when instructed, implement church policies as directed by the Pastor and/or executive leadership
• Maintain neat, orderly filings of all pertinent church documents (i.e. legal, limited fiscal, personnel files, etc.)
• Attend all Church and Ministry Executive Committee Meetings as directed by the Pastor
• Provide support for the Executive Committee and other meetings as needed and required
• Ensure vendor relationships, invoices, purchases, contracts and services are performed in a timely manner to the benefit and satisfaction of the church
• Work closely with the Pastor, Official Leadership and Executive Leadership teams. (ie. Chairs of Deacons, Finance, Trustees, Deaconess, and Senior Advisors) to achieve the business, administrative and communication goals of the church
• Develop business processes to improve operational efficiency of the church
• Develop Policies to guide organizational and operational behaviors of the church
• Implement technology solutions to improve business and operational processes (website, internal, technology, etc.
• Review all purchases and provide assessment of spending trends and budgets to identify areas for improvement of efficiency
• Oversee all church insurance policies, acquisition and claims reporting
• Work with staff and committee chairpersons to determine equipment needs and supervise
• purchases as required
• Attend annual training seminars/courses
• Supervise the cleanliness, general operation and maintenance responsibilities of the church
• Implement and Direct security and volunteers as needed to ensure execution of programs and confidentiality is enforced.
• Coordinate and direct ALL internal and external church volunteer efforts
• Conduct periodic formal performance evaluations and assist in staff goal-setting
• Work closely with the Finance committee in all aspects
• Supervise and provide direction as needed for update, maintenance and development of information databases and data entry
• Communicate with the Pastor and/or the Personnel Committee to make recommendations as needed
• Attend all staff and Leadership meetings and retreat
• Analyze trends in the market which would have major impact on the church, staff etc.
• Network with other CBA’s to determine best practices
• Provide administrative support for all personnel and office activities; employee benefits; and salary administration along with Executive Committee and/or Personnel Committee.
• Work closely with Pastor to ensure that program leaders, other church activity leaders and their respective ministry functions, are properly supported and efficiently functioning
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Pastor and/or Executive Committee
• Must be willing to perform tasks outside the required scope of responsibilities listed.
Budget and Financial Administration
• Work closely with the Pastor, Trustees, Treasurer and/or Finance Committee to coordinate the request for budget submissions for the review and management of the church Budget
• Serve as the central purchasing agent for the church
• Work closely with Trustee Ministry to maintain an inventory of all church property; annually, verify presence and condition; establish a schedule of replacement, upgrade;
• Be the primary contact person for church accounts receivable along with Treasurer and Finance Committee
• Assist the Pastor and/or ministries in preparation of the personnel budget;
• Oversee annual budget preparation for review by the Finance Ministry and assist in presentations;
• Participate in the development and implementation of financial policies, procedures and reporting
• Perform monthly bank reconciliations
• Prepare monthly financial statements, including adjusting journal entries
• Work with the certified public accountant and Treasurer during the annual audit as required;
HR and Payroll
• Work closely with the Personnel Committee to develop and implement HR policies and procedures for all FCBC employees
• Serve as primary staff contact for all services and consultations
• Ensure timely and accurate weekly payroll submissions
• Review and maintain necessary computer payroll reports
• Update and maintain individual employee payroll files as needed
• Communicate and administrate various employee benefit packages as required;
• Provide input and provide performance appraisals as required
• Administer all employee benefit programs, performance reviews and increases
• Distribute W-4s and I-9s
• Ensure Staff development and training on a regular basis
• Assist with the hiring and termination of employees in conjunction
with the Personnel Committee
• Review and distribute annual W-2s and 1099s