August 24, 2015
Green's Farms Church
Westport, CT USA
THE CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH OF GREEN’S FARMS, WESTPORT, CT
JOB DESCRIPTION FOR ASSOCIATE MINISTER FOR YOUTH
The Congregational Church of Green’s Farms is seeking an Associate Minister for Youth who, with deep care, compassion and warmth, will engage its young people by sharing their faith in the God revealed in Jesus Christ, creating opportunities for young people to experience God’s transforming love in the Christian community and empowering them to carry God’s love beyond the walls of the church. In addition to a strong primary focus on Youth, this role, if desired, offers the unique opportunity for expanded independent ministry career development based on self-defined personal passion areas. With the guidance of a well-established, experienced pastoral staff, on-going support and development would allow for the possibility of assuming larger duties and expanded learning within our ministry.
Founded in 1711, Green’s Farms Church (GFC) has been at the heart of the Westport community for more than 300 years. From our modest start as Westport’s first place of worship and local government, to our current commitment to growing disciples who make a difference with the families and youth of Fairfield County, GFC has many stories to tell. Our dynamic and welcoming membership is comprised of approximately 600 people, with average weekly attendance of about 200-250 including both adult and Sunday School attendees. Church members are active participants in the life of the local community. We enjoy a highly-regarded music program, well-attended educational enrichment programs for adults and youth, social events, and vibrant outreach programs including involvement at local transitional shelters, and hands-on service work that enriches dozens of community groups.
A member congregation of the United Church of Christ, GFC takes to heart Christ’s call to be a place of “extravagant welcome and radical hospitality.” We provide multiple ministries for children, youth and adults, numerous opportunities for worship, spiritual growth and exploration, and host several 12-step support groups, a Nursery School, and Daycare. Drawn from a variety of backgrounds, ages and experiences, what holds the people of GFC together is a desire to discover the God revealed in Jesus Christ and practice faith as a way of life.
Our Vision: We are a church on a hill, glowing so brightly with the light of God's love that we shine like a beacon, guiding seekers to come inside where their souls are nourished and transformed, growing closer to God. We are a faith family of warm welcome, respectful acceptance, shared joy and tender compassion. We embody Christ's hope, love and service wherever we go. – GFC Vision Statement, June 2014
For more information on GFC, see our website, www.greensfarmschurch.org
Reporting directly to the Senior Minister, the Associate Minister for Youth will assume spiritual leadership for students, Grade 6 through high school (approximately 15 active participants in grades 6-8, and 20 participants in grades 9-12) and potentially beyond, and create a faith home for youth that is warm and nurturing, leads and inspires youth and, reflects and transmits a shared understanding of what it means to be a person of faith.
Responsibilities are aligned with our Vision and programs are filtered against our two strategic initiatives where we find opportunities for ‘Deepening Community’ and ‘Discovering Discipleship’. Congregants are interested in a soul that is deeply connected to the Gospel, a heart that beats for youth and can inspire and transform young lives, a personality that is ready to function in the Westport micro-culture (highly educated, religiously and culturally diverse, close proximity to the NY metro area etc.) and a mind that demonstrates a high degree of programmatic executive functionality.
● Establish personal presence among adolescents of Green’s Farms Church and the greater community; observe and gain understanding about the lives of young people in Westport; be available and visible, embody integrity and a servant heart.
● Build relationships with young people; openly and passionately welcome and integrate them into youth ministry and the broader life of Green’s Farms Church; create and foster a sense of deep community among youth.
● Generate excitement for the ministry while respecting the current and past realities; see and realize the potential, which exists within the lives of adolescents and the congregation for a growing and impactful ministry.
● Bring experience, wisdom about and passion for youth ministry; chart the course for the ministry; develop and implement imaginative new ideas that reflect the unique cultural and adolescent context of Westport and meets the differing needs of young people and their families.
● Engage the culture with a highly developed ability to think critically and understand the complexities of the local adolescent context; observe, listen and give voice to God’s presence and movement in the lives of young people; invite and call them to respond by living faithful and ethical lives of service and mission
● Engage Youth with opportunities for fellowship, which builds lasting relationships and a strong sense of Christian community.
● Effectively communicate with parents and youth in a manner that demonstrates spiritual and emotional maturity; be comfortable relating to and encouraging parents, while mentoring youth; being their confidant, sounding board and trusted guide.
● Identify, recruit, mobilize volunteers; shepherd and coach key volunteers, delegate and follow up to maximize the untapped potential of volunteers in the congregation.
● Collaborate with faith formation team (children, youth & adult) to develop cohesive plan across the generations.
● Train and supervise divinity school interns serving in the area of youth ministry.
● Coordinate and teach confirmation program annually, January to May. Approximately 20 participants.
● Coordinate, lead and supervise the annual service-based Youth mission trip (one week away-from-home excursion based in the US). For example, building homes in New Mexico, etc. Participation is typically about 35-40 youth.
● In conjunction with the Senior Minister, coordinate visitation and comfort for hospitalized, sick and homebound members and friends of the church.
● Make referrals and help respond to congregational needs.
● Coordinate prayer circles, giving members the chance to engage in the discipline of prayer.
● Update Prayer List, Pastoral Care Log and weekly Joys & Concerns, as needed.
● Collaborate with the Senior Minister, Director of Music, Minister of Faith Formation, Director of Children’s Ministry, and other staff in planning and leading worship each Sunday and at such other times as may be appropriate. The Associate Minister for Youth will preach approximately 8-10 times annually.
● At the discretion of the Senior Minister, conduct special services, including weddings, baptisms and funerals.
● Encourage participation of people of all ages and abilities.
● Foster a sense of community and communicate with the congregation regarding the youth ministry and other participation opportunities on a regular basis (e.g. weekly bulletin, announcements, phone calls, e-mail blasts).
● Develop relationships with the wider community and attend association and conference events as appropriate / needed, at times on behalf of the Senior Minister.
● Develop collaborative relationships with local clergy, town officials and social-service providers.
● Identify ministry opportunities for all ages and abilities.
● Pursue professional development / continuing education opportunities.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILL SET
● There is an open mindedness about the sort of background and experience this person may bring and contribute to GFC.
● Bachelor’s Degree required. Advanced theological degree (in process or completed) preferred. If already ordained, a clear focus on youth ministry is required.
● Experience in leading student ministry OR relevant professional experience conceiving, developing and leading effective youth initiatives and programs.
● Capable of interacting and working with a church organizational structure (including both ministry and lay leadership) to further the Youth Ministry.
● Theological consistency with Green’s Farms Church Covenant and United Church of Christ Statement of Faith.
● Individuals with multi-denominational backgrounds will be considered – true faith and an ability to bring God’s love to life for youth will be the main area of focus.
● In addition to a ministry that serves children and youth, GFC has a nursery school and daycare onsite and, as a condition of employment, candidate must pass a background check.
● Location: Westport, CT
● Key Relationships: Senior Minister, Minister of Faith Formation, Director of Children’s Ministry, Director of Music, Department Chairs, Director of Operations, Departmental Liaison and Administrative Assistant
● This position is a Full-time Salaried position with a generous benefit package
● Position is required August through June, with approximately four (4) weeks off during the summer.
Kirsten L. Horton
August 24, 2015
West End United Methodist Church
Nashville, Tennessee USA
West End United Methodist Church is seeking applicants for the position of Minister of Youth. The Minister of Youth is a full-time member of the Church’s staff. The position generally requires a 40-hour work week which includes working Sundays and four weekdays, with alternate workdays and extended hours occasionally required. The position is salaried/exempt and competitive benefits are provided.
The position requires a person with sound Christian beliefs who enjoys working directly with middle school and high school students. The Youth Minister will provide planning, oversight and coordination of all aspects of the Church’s youth ministry. This includes creating and implementing a strong and creative curriculum; developing relationships with the youth, their parents, other staff and ministry areas and local ministry partners; and planning and attending church, regular outreach events, mission events and special activities and retreats, both in town and out of town. Desired skills include: excellent teacher, team builder, communicator, organizer, project manager, and coordinator of parent and other volunteers. The candidate should also be flexible with a good sense of humor, as well as having strong computer and social media skills.
M. Divinity and degree in religious studies or related studies, or five (5) years experience in youth ministries or similar position preferred.
For a more detailed job description and to apply, please go to: http://www.westendumc.org/about/job-openings
August 11, 2015
Director of Youth Ministries
Union Church of Hinsdale
Hinsdale, Illinois USA
POSITION: Director of Youth Ministries
HOURS: Twenty-five hours per week for ministry with youth, with availability of full-time with additional responsibilities
SALARY: Competitive and commiserate with skills and experience; full-time includes benefits
DESCRIPTION: The Director of Youth Ministries will lead all aspects of our congregation’s ministry with youth (roughly ages 12-18). The priorities of the work will be:
• to help all youth grow as disciples of Jesus Christ;
• to fully integrate youth into the overall life of the congregation;
• to invite and welcome non-member youth and their families into the youth program and the life of the congregation, leading to growth of the youth program and congregation;
• to sustain the priority of service to others as an essential part of Christian faith and spiritual growth, maintaining and enhancing the “work tour” program and other forms of service.
The Union Church of Hinsdale (United Church of Christ) is an active, healthy congregation. We have people of all ages, and we come from a wide variety of church backgrounds, including “un-churched.” We have two worship services on Sunday, plus a monthly service led entirely by youth. We are an open, theologically progressive congregation, committed to inviting and welcoming all. Service to others and promotion of holistic social well-being is important to us, not just through the church, but in our lives. We are committed to our children and youth, and seek to help parents raise their children with generous, life-shaping Christian faith. We have energy and resources, and we look forward to working with a Director of Youth Ministries who can lead us with creative, new ideas and an open, generous spirit.
THE MINISTRY POSITION:
Our Director of Youth Ministries will be a key contributor to our overall ministry, working closely with other staff and committed lay leadership to help our youth grow and mature in Christian faith. We need our Director of Youth Ministries to be intentional about the faith development of our youth, while recognizing that mature faith is often “caught” more than “taught.” Our Director of Youth Ministries needs to share a vision of faith that includes both personal commitment to the way of Jesus and open, thoughtful engagement with the beliefs and everyday realities of contemporary youth. We seek someone who is relational and engaging, is able to handle the organizational demands of youth ministry, is able to communicate well with parents and the congregation, and will work collaboratively with church members in building a thriving youth program.
A Bachelor of Arts degree (or equivalent) is expected, with a minimum of two years of professional experience leading a congregational youth ministry program, or working with youth in a Christian ministry position (e.g. outdoor/camp ministries).
Formal theological training is highly desired, although we will consider candidates with mature Christian faith and the ability and willingness to engage in formal theological training in the future.
For initial contact, please send a one page resume, including relevant educational, volunteer, and professional work to the Rev. J. Michael Solberg (Sr. Pastor), at email@example.com. Requests by email for additional information are welcome. Thank you for your interest in the Union Church of Hinsdale!
Rev. J. Michael Solberg (Sr. Pastor)
August 11, 2015
Chapel Hill, NC USA
Christ United Methodist Church in Chapel Hill, NC, a 20-year-old church of approximately 1,000 members located just minutes from the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, a number of schools, and a population set to grow dramatically in the next few years...
…is seeking a full-time youth pastor who will dream, vision, build relationships, teach, learn, and lead a thriving youth program into God’s good future.
The ideal candidate loves Jesus, sees him or herself as a dreamer, is creative and thinks outside the box, is a dynamic leader, but also knows how to delegate, equip and support teams.
He or she is comfortable fielding tough, thought-provoking questions, reading and wrestling with Scripture and imagining how Scripture might come alive for the young and young at heart.
The ideal candidate is also compassionate, playful and adventurous, curious and encouraging, and demonstrates a passionate love for God and all of God’s creation.
This person will take the reins of a healthy, robust youth program, a solid team of youth advisors and a newly renovated youth building complete with a study area, offices, a coffee bar and a gathering space for over 100 students.
Here’s the fine print. The candidate must have:
-a bachelor’s or higher degree from an accredited institution
-education or certification in youth and family ministry or a related program and 2 to 5 years experience in youth ministry
-an understanding of United Methodist polity and doctrine
-strong organizational and communication skills
-a proven track record of implementing new programs and initiatives
-the ability to work effectively with a diverse group of people
If this is you, please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.