June 11, 2015
Duke Youth Academy Mentor
Duke Youth Academy for Christian Formation/Duke Divinity School
Durham, North Carolina United States
Are you interested in learning how to approach youth ministry in a richly theological and practical way? Serve on the staff of the Duke Youth Academy for Christian Formation (DYA), a program for high school students at Duke Divinity School. Staff members serve during residency from June 14-20, 2015 and continue mentoring students for year as they integrate what they learn in their congregations and communities (5 hours/month through July 2016). Apply today!
June 08, 2015
Student U Middle School Teacher
Durham , North Carolina United States
Student U is a year-long commitment. Student U teachers work full-time in the summer, creating lesson plans, teaching their own classes, and working collaboratively with other teachers to engage and inspire students to gain academic skills and take ownership over their own education. During the academic school year, we ask Student U teachers to commit to tutoring once a week in our daily after-school program. Teachers are compensated for their work, and they're also partnered with mentor teachers who provide them with plenty of support throughout the summer. The final deadline to apply to be a Middle School Summer Teacher is January 30, 2015. Applications are available on our website.
May 20, 2015
Children’s and Youth Minister
Union Grove United Methodist Church
Hillsborough, NC USA
Union Grove United Methodist Church in Hillsborough, NC is seeking an individual to lead its children and youth ministries. This is a part time position working 20 hours a week. Qualified applicants should have an engaging personality with the ability to communicate with children, youth and adults, have a strong Christian faith, enthusiasm and passion, and the ability to train and sustain volunteers. The successful applicant will have experience working with children and youth in group settings and will work with a potential group of at least 20 youth (6th grade to 12th grade) and 20 children (preschool to 5th grade). To apply please submit resume, cover letter and references (professional, personal and with at least one from to include a member of the clergy) and questions about the position to firstname.lastname@example.org with priority consideration for applicants who apply by 5 pm EDT on June 1, 2015. For the job description and to learn more about our Church go to www.UnionGroveUMC.org.
Ministry Title: Children and Youth Minister
Purpose: To lead, oversee, and assist with developing all aspects of children and youth ministries including volunteers, programming, curriculum and special events at Union Grove United Methodist Church in Hillsborough, N. C. This ministry will encompass the mission of our church, “God & Neighbor.”
- Assist with the development and communication of the vision of Union Grove UMC’s children and youth ministry
- Develop a network of spiritually gifted volunteers
- Provide a safe learning environment
- Involve, train and lead children and youth ministry volunteers
- Coordinate all Children and Youth Ministry activities such as Sunday morning activities, weekly meetings, mission trips and special events/projects
- Teach children and youth faith based curriculum
- All other duties as assigned
Skill and Abilities:
- Ability to effectively communicate with children, youth and adults, both orally and in writing
- Strong organizational, time management, multitasking, and problem solving skills
- Ability to recruit, train and retain a volunteer staff of adults
- Skills in administration including event planning, email marketing, social media, etc.
- Ability to creatively engage children, youth and adults
- Ability to teach various levels of learning
- Have a strong Christian faith
- Ability to have fun
Minimum Qualifications: An equivalent combination of education and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
- A Bachelor’s degree in child or youth related development, education or ministry
- At least 6 months of experience leading/teaching children and/or youth in a group setting
This is a Part time (20 hours a week) position. The position reports to the Pastor and the Staff Parish Relations Committee. Candidates must be able to pass a criminal and driving background check to adhere to the Safe Sanctuary practices of the United Methodist Church.
May 19, 2015
Church, Ministry, Missions
Director of Serve the World and Youth Ministries
Rome First United Methodist Church
Rome, GA USA
The Director of Serve the World and Youth Ministries will facilitate the mission and service ministries of Rome First UMC as well as the ministries with 6th-12th graders and their families. The Director will work closely with the Serve the World Team and the Youth Leadership Team (YLT), volunteer Youth Ministry Staff, and Youth Ministry Interns to create, guide, and implement vision and programming for mission and youth ministry in conjunction and full partnership with the vision and ministries of Rome First United Methodist Church.
The Serve the World Ministries of Rome First include local community ministry partners, ministries of the North Georgia Conference, and global mission opportunities. Youth Ministry at Rome First UMC includes Sunday evening Breakaway, Thursday morning Chick-Fil-A fellowship breakfast, Sunday School, as well as special events and retreats. This person will be a connector, helping to connect everyone in the congregation with mission and service and seeking to connect parents and youth with the youth ministry, youth with other youth and adult volunteers/mentors, and the youth with the larger life of the church.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to Dr. Robert Brown at email@example.com.
Rev. Anjie Woodworth
May 19, 2015
Director of Children's Ministries
Morningside Presbyterian Church
Atlanta, Georgia USA
Director of Children’s Ministries
Morningside Presbyterian Church is seeking a Director of Children’s Ministries to expand and further develop its children’s education and ministry programs.
Located in Atlanta near Piedmont Park, Morningside Presbyterian Church is a warm and welcoming congregation of approximately 500 members. Morningside has deep roots in the Reformed/Presbyterian tradition and active involvement and mission in the local community and beyond. Over the past decade, the Morningside congregation has experienced exponential growth, particularly in its children and family demographic. Morningside has more than 160 children today in its congregation. Children and families are a vital part of our church, and Morningside has created this new role to further its commitment to this group. The Morningside Presbyterian Preschool is a ministry of Morningside Presbyterian Church and has provided for the educational, physical, social, spiritual and emotional needs of children and families in the community since 2001. For more information on Morningside Presbyterian Church, please see the website at http://www.morningsidepc.org/.
Morningside aspires to a dynamic Christian educational experience for its children. The acronym NICE conveys that Morningside seeks a program that Nurtures, Inspires, Connects and Educates and more fully expressed below:
• Nurture stands for caring, inclusion and compassion.
• Inspire is about exciting leadership and programs that lift up our children, youth and families.
• Connect speaks to offerings that sequence and connect across ages -- and connect with our families and the congregation.
• Educate means helping children learn and grow in their Christian faith and as individuals.
The new Director of Children’s Ministries will partner with parents in rearing their children in the Christian faith, while helping them reach spiritual milestones along the way. This Director will focus on the needs of children from birth through fifth grade. Reporting to Morningside’s Senior Pastor, the Director will work closely with the Associate Pastor, who oversees Youth and Adult Ministries, and other talented Morningside staff members and volunteers to nurture this growing children and family demographic. Integrating the needs of children and their families into Morningside’s larger mission and priorities will be key.
Several key responsibilities include the following:
• Educate children using a creative and engaging Sunday morning curriculum.
• Lead special event programming and other outreach activities for children and families.
• Identify and retain talented teachers.
• Provide training and resources for teachers, volunteers and others engaged in the children’s programs.
• Coordinate with the Associate Pastor to smoothly transition children to the youth program.
The ideal candidate is a dynamic and creative leader who is theologically rooted and grounded in the Presbyterian reformed faith tradition. This individual easily engages with both children and their parents. He/she is able to relate to the growing demands on today's families. The Director will also bring an innovative and inspiring vision to children’s education and development and has a desire to see children grow in their faith and knowledge of Jesus Christ.
He/she will be able to select and implement curriculum and programs relevant to each age and stage of children’s development as well as social experiences that connect the children, families and congregation. By harnessing the ideas and energies of parents, volunteers and others, the Director will deliver outstanding programs that generate high participation and enthusiasm.
This person is a great manager of people, schedules and programs, and is able to work well with volunteers, staff and people across the congregation. It is critical that this person is an excellent team player and collaborator with a talented and dedicated senior staff as well as able to work effectively in a self-directed manner. Strong communication skills will also be important as well as the ability to incorporate others’ ideas. Experience working in a children’s ministry program or other related educational setting is strongly preferred.
A bachelor’s degree is required, preferably in Christian education or other educational area. A seminary degree or other relevant advanced degree is preferred. Ordained/ordainable candidates will be favorably considered, but ordination is not a requirement for the position.
Applications and Nominations
Applications and nominations should be directed to:
Morningside Presbyterian Church
Director of Children’s Ministries Search Committee
May 19, 2015
Sharon Baptist Church
Smithfield, NC USA
Sharon Baptist Church is in search of a Senior Pastor to work in a collaborative church setting that values roles of both laity and staff persons. The Pastor will be responsible for preaching, leading worship, and providing pastoral care and congregational support. Interested applicants should send a resume to Ron Whittington at firstname.lastname@example.org.
May 18, 2015
Church, Ministry, Education
Director of D6 Children's Ministry
Munger Place Church
Dallas, TX USA
Our Munger Place campus is growing, and we are expanding our staff! This full-time position is responsible for working with the Director of Discipleship and volunteer team to define, implement and oversee Christian education for children from birth through fifth grade, including Sunday morning programs, Vacation Bible School and much more. This position will also collaborate with other Munger staff on general Discipleship and churchwide programs and matters.
D6 attendance on Sunday mornings currently averages about 175 children, with approximately 67 adults in D6 volunteer service.
The Director of D6 Family Ministry is expected to maintain high Christian values and professional integrity in order to provide an example for the children and families of our community. His/her job is also to encourage all children and families of the community to strive for the same standards.
Usual working hours are Monday - Thursday 9 am - 5 pm, Sunday 8 am - 1 pm, an evening small group, and meetings/events at various times.
Location: Dallas, TX
Essential Responsibilities include:
Pastoral: Influence and lead children and their families to Jesus Christ, being available to them in crisis situations and for concerns/questions, making pastoral care visits.
• Supervising, evaluating, recruiting, coordinating, training and supporting the D6 Ministry volunteer teams.
• Selecting, supervising and directing paid, part-time nursery/childcare workers and art hour coordinator.
• Attending/helping lead adult leadership retreats and meetings.
• Participating in the research, design, and implementation of a ministry to the parents of children 0-18.
• Evaluating, planning, coordinating and overseeing all planning for regular ministries to children and their families, which includes D6 Sunday School, 4th and 5th grade ministry, childcare, Confirmation, family fight nights, parent classes/meetings, and any programming added to Children and Family Ministry.
• Updating D6 webpages.
• Helping plan and lead special children and/or family events (i.e. Back to School Sunday, 3rd Grade Bible Sunday, Christmas Eve Family Service, etc).
• Planning and executing summer Vacation Bible School.
• Consistently evaluating the effectiveness of D6 programs and events and reacting accordingly.
• Managing the D6 budget.
• Collaborating with D6 and family ministries at HPUMC.
• Attending church staff meetings, professional development/continuing education events and other meetings/events as necessary.
WE REQUIRE a Christian (preferably United Methodist) committed to living a life that reflects the Gospel who is comfortable working in a United Methodist church and has the following qualifications:
Bachelor's degree in a related field strongly preferred
Seminary or other formal religious education preferred
At least 3 years experience in church ministry as staff or lay leader
Supervisory experience required
Ability to build, lead and empower volunteer teams
Ability to adapt and evaluate curriculum
Ability to implement a ministry vision
Proficient computer skills, using applications such as MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, database, email, Internet and social media. Should also be comfortable updating website pages.
Excellent organization, communication (verbal and written) and listening skills, with a high degree of initiative and accountability
Exceptional interpersonal and relational skills, with sensitivity to church members and visitors
Familiarity with United Methodist doctrine; must be comfortable teaching it and representing the church
Understanding and enjoyment of children and families and guiding their spiritual development
Familiarity and comfort with special needs children and with diverse socioeconomic populations
Physical demands include sitting, standing, walking, seeing, hearing, lifting approx. 10 lbs.
We provide competitive pay and full benefit package, generous holiday schedule, and a fun, collaborative and supportive work environment!
May 18, 2015
Cary, North Carolina USA
Senior Pastor Profile and Job Description
The congregation expects the Senior Pastor to possess certain identifiable gifts and abilities. While the specific tasks and responsibilities of the position are listed on the following pages, the Senior Pastor will be expected to be a collaborative, servant leader, as he/she leads the congregation in worship and spiritual journey. He/she will accept and subscribe to the Constitution of By-Laws. The Senior Pastor is held accountable to the congregation by the Deacon Ministry – Board of Directors for fulfilling his/her call as pastor, and for carrying out his/her ministry job description. He/she is responsible for oversight of the leadership team.
The specific ministry responsibilities of this position are identified in the remainder of this document.
The role of the Senior Pastor is to ‘live in the middle’ – engaging the ministry staff directly and congregation through the Board of Directors in developing vision and mission while leading the congregational leaders in implementing that vision and mission.
This role involves:
• Working with the leadership team and Board of Directors to discern the future of the congregation, keep leaders spiritually grounded, and shape the mission for the future
• Working with the leaders and the Board of Directors to develop appropriate outcomes – the differences needed in one to three years – so that the mission takes shape and direction
• Providing oversight of key leaders in shaping and pursuing the implementation of the outcomes in faithful ways.
The Senior Pastor must be an ordained and licensed minister in good standing.
The ideal candidate will have the following experience, recognizing that strengths in some areas can offset lack of experience in others.
• Have a Bachelor of Liberal Arts or Bachelor of Science degree and/or a Seminary degree.
• Have 3 years of pastoral experience and/or 4 years of experience as an Associate Minister.
• Experience as a pastor in a multiple-staff ministry
The Senior Pastor is accountable to the Deacon Ministry – Board of Directors. The Music Ministry is accountable to the Senior Pastor.
• Preserve pure Christian doctrine through preaching, teaching and administration of the sacraments.
• Make and grow disciples, and commission them to share their faith with others.
• Educate congregational members toward greater biblical literacy.
• Effectively fulfill the purpose of the church as stated in the Bylaws.
• Encourage cooperation between Cary First and other Christian organizations.
• Make every effort to influence Christian harmony among the individual ministries of our church.
• Be diligent in guiding ministries in the development of healthy relationships among participants.
• Be cognizant of current social, political issues and their effect on our ministry.
• Challenge members to seek a deeper relationship with God that results in more loving, caring focused and clear minded Christians in pursuit of God’s ways.
• Support the special long term, strategic, and ministry plans, including those related to capital campaigns and expansion.
• Be visible in the community, value people living in our community, and reach out to where people can come for support and care.
Senior Pastor Responsibilities
The Senior Pastor will strive to provide an optimal environment in which all ministries can flourish and will be a model of support and enthusiasm for them
Personal Characteristics, Gifts, and Abilities
• ‘big-picture’ thinker
• demonstrate superior skill in delegation, can pass on meaningful responsibility for the successful delivery of a task to other people
• available to staff and members for support, advice, guidance, development, and direction• understands the need for, and arranges for, regular self-improvement through study, seminars, etc.
• understands the continuing need for clear and adequate communication in a congregational environment
• collaborates effectively to achieve the best outcomes in a manner that engages others
• empowers others to take initiative for ministry work that is aligned with the ministry plan
• manages conflict in a timely manner and in a way that leads to stronger relationships
Cary First Christian Church
May 12, 2015
Church, Administration, Church, Ministry, Education
Director of Stewardship and Development
First Presbyterian Church
Greensboro, NC USA
Director of Stewardship and Development
First Presbyterian Church, an historic and vibrant community of faith in downtown Greensboro, NC, is seeking a Director of Stewardship and Development (DS&D). Having recently completed a $15M capital campaign that has enabled a campus renovation, First Presbyterian Church and its 2,900 members are ready to build on this success. The Director of Stewardship and Development will be responsible for taking direction from the Session and Senior Pastor of First Presbyterian Church, and providing strategic vision and senior leadership to all stewardship and development efforts. This church leader will promote a culture of giving, serve as the catalyst of fundraising efforts at the Church, design the internal support infrastructure needed for sustainability, and coordinate the efforts of a talented group of staff and volunteers. The Director of Stewardship and Development will set the context for giving within the different functional areas of the church – education, spiritual discipline, ministry, communications, church social life – and will make giving and stewardship flow seamlessly throughout the Church. This is a senior leadership position, reporting to the Senior Pastor and Executive Pastor.
1. Manage the Annual, Capital, and Planned Giving efforts of the Church by creating and
implementing sustainable processes designed to enhance stewardship.
2. Cultivate the solicitation of unrestricted gifts to the Church and restricted gifts to
session-designated funds and endowment funds.
3. Develop fundraising initiatives with the ministers, FPC staff and Session that
incorporate development efforts in their respective areas of ministry and also support the
ministries of the Church.
4. Design a process to identify church members who are not engaged in the life of the
Church and to assist staff with engaging those members where appropriate.
5. Provide support to other related entities in their fundraising efforts (e.g. StepUp
Ministries, Early Childhood programs, etc.)
6. Perform other responsibilities as assigned by Senior Pastor and Executive Pastor.
1. Bachelor’s degree;
2. Five or more years demonstrated experience in development, stewardship, or a related field;
3. Active participation in a Christian faith community;
4. Demonstrated capability and passion for leading staff, volunteers and projects.
Desired Skills and Traits
1. Passionate, motivated, and innovative leader
2. High comfort level discussing giving in the context of faith
3. High level of discretion and confidentiality
4. Self-motivated and ability to work collaboratively
5. Willingness, creativity, and ability to be strategic in setting goals and in focusing on short time tactical tasks while managing long term strategic projects
6. Ability to establish and sustain positive relationships with staff, church members, and community partners with varying social and theological perspectives
7. Exceptional organizational skills to manage multiple tasks; ability to prioritize projects and follow up on a timely basis
8. Excellent interpersonal skills, as well as outstanding written and verbal communication skills
First Presbyterian offers competitive salary and benefits packages.
First Presbyterian’s policy excludes members of the congregation from being employed by the Church.
Position is available immediately and will remain open until filled. For best consideration, cover letter and resume should be submitted by June 30, 2015.
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
May 12, 2015
Full time, Part time
, Indiana USA
Culver Academies, a private secondary boarding school located in north central Indiana, is in the process of finding strong candidates for its Protestant Youth Minister position, which was established in 2010. Culver is a diverse school with students hailing from 41 states and 28 countries, and they bring their faith traditions with them. The Spiritual Life department mission is to support Culver’s mission by providing a variety of integrated programs, traditional religious services, and contemplative practices to help students develop their spirit, define their values, and demonstrate their character in relationship with the global community.
The Protestant Youth Minister’s main areas of focus are to:
*Lead the network of programs designed to minister to students, which includes Protestant Youth Group, Leadership training, Bible Study, Praise Band and Spring Break Mission trip.*
*Oversee the team of people involved as partners in ministry, which includes adults involved as youth group volunteers and/or community group leaders, and student representatives from each class that make up the C.P.Y.G. Council.
*Provide pastoral care for students entrusted in his/her care, with an emphasis on the ability to listen to, understand, empathize with, and give sound advice to students within a counseling context.
*Build support for ministry within the wider Academies’ community through thoughtful and effective outreach methods, programs and events.
The Protestant Youth Minister will also be expected to immerse him/herself in the boarding school experience, which encompasses academics, residential life and athletics.