The Master of Theology (Th.M.) degree is designed for graduates of accredited theological schools who desire to continue or resume their theological education for enhancement of professional competence in selected areas of study. The Th.M. program is limited to students who have received the M.Div. (or the equivalent) with superior academic records.
The requirements for the Th.M. degree are:
- Academic: Eight advanced course units are required, and a student must earn an average grade of B or higher.
- Comprehensive Exam or Thesis: Each student is required to demonstrate superior performance on a comprehensive examination covering the major area of study. In lieu of the exam, a student may choose to complete a research project in one major area. This project is counted as one of the eight course credits required.
Those persons are encouraged to apply for the Th.M
- who have been awarded a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- who have or will have been awarded the M.Div. degree (or the equivalent) from an accredited theological institution
- who have attained at least an overall B+ (3.25 on a 4.0 scale) academic average in their foundational theology degree
- who desire to continue or resume their theological education for enhancement of professional competence in selected areas of study
Other than one scholarship per year for an international student, Master of Theology students are not eligible for any form of financial assistance through the Divinity School.